Push Notifications at 'Due Time'

Hi folks! My colleague on the mobile team was kind enough to share some insights:

There’s some confusion about what Asana push notifications you should expect so I’ll do my best to clear things up so that hopefully you can have an easier time determining if you’re experiencing a technical vs. a product issue. It is super helpful for us if you can differentiate between the two because the work on our end to improve your experience is quite different.

By default all android devices should support receiving push notifications as long as you don’t opt out of them (either by disabling them via system settings or within the Asana android app’s notification settings). Your android os version should only matter for the formatting of the notifications, not which ones you receive.

However, that doesn’t mean that you’ll get a push notification for everything you might expect, so here a few things to keep in mind:

1) We try really hard to not show you notifications for things you’ve already seen

• That means that if you are currently using Asana on a computer, you won’t get any push notifications
  • When you look at Asana on a computer, we will clear any notifications that are currently being displayed

2) We only send push notifications for things that appear in your Asana inbox

• This is a necessary, but not sufficient condition. While the Asana inbox contains stories about tasks being added to a project, you will not receive push notifications for these.
  • The logic for receiving an Asana inbox story (and therefore a push notification) for tasks based on their due dates is quite complicated and may not be what you expect.
  • These stories are generated once per day, a little after midnight for tasks that are assigned to you and due today and are not already in the Today section of your My Tasks list. This means that:
    ---- If your task is already sorted in Today, you will never get an inbox story or push notification for it
    ---- If you set a task’s due date to Today, you won’t get a notification for it since we only create inbox stories and notifications for tasks being due at midnight.
    ---- The due time of the task isn’t used in determining whether or when to notify you (calling this out separately since it’s a common feature request and source of confusion)

The easiest way to test if push notifications are working on your device is to:

1)close any of your Asana tabs on any computers you might use
2)make sure you don’t have any active Asana app sessions on your mobile device
3)ask a colleague to assign you a new task
4)wait 5 minutes without using Asana.
→ After you take these four steps you should receive a push notification.

2 Likes