Push Notifications on Android App

I’ve been unable to get Asana push notifications to work on my Android device. I’ve actually had this problem for more than a year, but we are starting to really get into some projects and I need the notifications to work now more than ever.

I’ve tried this on two different phones, LG G4 last year, and now actively use the Asana app on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. Email notifications do work.

I’ve tried:

• Turning off and on notifications in the app settings
  • Ensuring the app and OS were up to date
  • Tried different types of notification triggers (assigning tasks, adding to team convos, etc)
  • Checked in System settings to ensure notifications were allowed for the app
  • Reinstalled the app
  • Tried adding widgets to the homescreen (albeit this was a long shot)

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Like

In general I have no issues with Android Notifications on Nexus 5 and Nexus 6p. I now have a Huawei P10 and am having some issues. The first problem I resolved was that the phone had a default power setting that closed all aps on screen lock except for Google Deafult and Huawei stock apps. Once I fixed that it worked fine.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Based on Jason_Woods answer, thank you for that!

For anyone who needs help specifically with Samsung (in my case the S8+) I fixed this by going to Settings, Device Maintenance, Battery, Scroll down and click on Unmonitored Apps, added Asana to that list

2 Likes

Glad that worked @Matt_Lawrence

1 Like

Hi @Matt_Lawrence!

While I’m glad you were able to get an answer from @Jason_Woods about your Samsung specific issue, I did want to posit a bit of clarification on how our push notification work, in case other members are having trouble setting push notifications that they expect to be triggered by due date times that are set in Tasks.

This is because the Asana app will “only” generate Push notifications in the following cases:

• Task Assigned to you by someone else
  • Task Unassigned from you by someone else
  • Task Promoted To the “Today” section (I will explain how this one works below, it might be an interesting one in your case)
  • Comments made by someone else
  • Task Completed by someone else
  • Conversation Added by someone else

Please note that a Task is promoted to the Today section only if it was previously under the Upcoming section as described in this article:

This is probably why folks won’t receive a notification when a task approaches its due date.

One workaround would be to move a task with a due date to the Upcoming section. Once you’ve done this, you will receive a notification when the task is due today. If the Upcoming section doesn’t appear on your device, you will need to mark a task as “Upcoming” via a computer on the Desktop version of Asana first: How to Get Started With Asana My Tasks | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide

Hope this helps to clarifies things for our mobile app users with regard to how our Push Notifications currently work!

If members fellow members of our community have a moment, I would encourage them to also take our mobile survey to let us know what features you would like to see in the next version of Asana Mobile:

Asana Mobile v3

As well as, of course, our Product feedback category within the community here:

https://forum.asana.com/c/productfeedback

While we can’t promise anything just yet, we do hope to have updates to this functionality in the near future. Hearing our community’s feedback is essential to bringing us closer to this reality :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I have team members that never get any notifications on their Android devices. We have tried to turn off all power management settings and assigned priority notifications to Asana and still nothing.

I’m not sure of everyone device but Huawei P10 certainly has this problem.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this?

Hi @Hans_Rippel I have a P10 as well and had the same issue.

The fix is to go into the Launch Options for App and to change it from Auto Manage to Manual and allow it to run in the background and launch on startup. Otherwise every time you move away from the app it closes down and no notification.

Also note that you may have to adjust this everytime there is an upgrade to the emui.

Let me know and I can share specific screen shots.

Jason.

I actually did that and it only half worked. It only gave notifications when I was using the phone but no notifications showed up when the phone wasn’t used and the screen was off. Has that happened to you @Jason_Woods?

@Hans_Rippel before I made the changes yes. Here is my screenshots for both Launch and Notifications for Asana.

Hopefully that helps…

Jason.

@Jason_Woods These are the settings on my co-worker’s phone and notifications generally work when the phone is being used but none show up when the phone is unused and the screen is off and it won’t show up under notifications after the phone is unlocked.

@Marie Do you guys have some support resources that explain how various Android devices need to be configured to make sure they work well with Asana?

@Hans_Rippel bizzare that is what I have… And I definitely get the notifications that would be in my inbox. Regardless…

The only suggestion I have is restart the phone after the changes are made…

Sorry I wasn’t any more help.

Jason.

You (@Michael_A) said:
This is because the Asana app will “only” generate Push notifications in the following cases:

• Task Assigned to you by someone else
  • Task Unassigned from you by someone else
  • Task Promoted To the “Today” section (I will explain how this one works below, it might be an interesting one in your case)
  • Comments made by someone else
  • Task Completed by someone else
  • Conversation Added by someone else

So what you’re saying is that unless there are two or more members in the team (aka the “someone else”) Asana won’t create a push notification for those scenarios listed. Are you saying that Asana is not robust enough to notify me (the solo member) of a task I created and assigned to myself?

5 Likes