Remove old files from recurring tasks

We have one project with recurring tasks scheduled once a week ( “Repeat Daily” ), which fits perfectly to our needs. Every week we need to attach the same file but updated.
The problem comes when we complete the task and the new recurring task copy the files attached, because this force us to delete earlier files in order not to get confused and use the wrong file.

Is there any posibility to create recurring tasks without copying old files?

1 Like

Hi @Helena_Martinez, is this a document you’re uploading from your computer or from a cloud solution like Dobox/Google Drive?

If you upload the document from a cloud solution, you could have a link to the document in your task description, and instead of uploading a new doc every week, you could simply edit the existing one via the link in your task description?

2 Likes

Hi @Marie! Is an uploaded document… we cannot link it. But thanks for responding!

1 Like

No worries @Helena_Martinez, moving this thread to the #productfeedback to allow you and other users to vote for this feature request!

Hi Marie,

Just following up to see if there is any update on this issue? I am having the same issue as Helena.

I also have this problem. I have repeating (weekly) tasks that should not auto-include attachments from last week’s task. It would be nice if there was an option to say what information (description, comments, attachments, assignee, etc.) needs to rollover to the next instance.

I renamed this thread because the title and description seemed to be saying conflicting things.

3 Likes

Hi just adding myself to the number of people concerned. Simple file file uploads & revisions can pile up in the recurring task. I think there should be an option for that. Opening a simple image file from the task can take a while due to the number of thumbnails loading at the same time.

I would also like to add a request to be able to have the option for what information (description, comments, attachments, assignee, etc.) needs to rollover to the next instance. Having attachments rollover is confusing and it is tedious to have to go in and delete them each time. Please add a fix for this!

I have the same question… any resolution on this yet please?

I would like to add my comment that I am also facing the same issue at my company. We want to create recurring tasks that remove all old files but keeps the description and subtasks. Much like the Duplicate task feature which gives you all the options to choose what to duplicate over, however, this isn’t automatic and is surprising how this feature hasn’t been added to recurring tasks.

Is there any solution to this?

it’s really necessary for update!

Our teams would benefit from this feature as well. Has anyone heard of a solution for auto-delete of old attachments?

My use case: I have a weekly recurring task. When I do the task, I usually comment the task, attaching a screenshot proving what was done, then close the task. The new duplicated task contains all my attachments from previous completions. This is unwanted in my use case. If I could choose to not duplicate attachments in recurring tasks, it would be great for me.

1 Like

Hi @Marco_Marsala, while this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still hoping this is something on the Asana Development Teams’ radar. Having a way to bulk remove files from a task would save so much time.

2 Likes

My use case? I have a recurring task that I handle daily. However, when I’m out, there’s an image that shows part of the instructions. I now have 100s of versions of this image, and have to manually delete them all. I’d really prefer that a recurring task linked to a canonical version of that file.

Another vote from our end! It’s quite cumbersome to sort through which attachment(s) is/are associated with the new recurring task vs. the old. Would love for a way to choose what we want copied over - similar to Asana’s templates feature.

1 Like

Please allow this to be an option!!!

1 Like

Adding my request to this the files are piling up for weekly recurring tasks for us. There needs to be some setting to omit these please.

1 Like