Referred here for pre-sales questions (?)

Hi,

I tried to ask support a pre-sales question, but was referred to this forum. I’m a bit surprised by that, but here it goes…

I’m a former Basecamp user. It seems that Asana is a competing platform, and so far I really like it. My problem is that I can’t figure out a few core concepts to determine if they’re even possible.

1. In Basecamp I can loop in a client (or anyone) to a specific part of a project only. They can contribute to a specific discussion, etc. Their access is limited though and they can’t see all of our other work/comments. Is this possible in Asana?

2. It seems that all files in Asana need to be attached to a task. We would previously have used Basecamp as a repository of files and the entire team could access them. It seems a bit weird that they are attached to a task only. Once that task is completed there are some extra steps to find it (change the filters to show completed). Am I missing something here? Is there a better workflow to handle filesharing?

Many thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I’d be happy to answer these questions for you!

1. You can do that in Asana as well, through our Guest option. You can choose projects to invite guests to, and they can only comment and view task in those projects. They won’t have visibility into anything outside of what they have been invited to.
    https://asana.com/guide/help/organizations/basics#gl-people

2. Asana integrates with file sharing solutions, though we look at ourselves more as collaboration software than file storage. It’s for this reason that we have attachments tied to tasks, since we’ve built Asana as a tool to collaborate on work and track it’s progress.
    What most of our customers do is use file sharing tool such as Google Drive or Dropbox as their file repository, and attach them to relevant tasks when needed.
    https://asana.com/guide/help/tasks/comments
    https://asana.com/developers/api-reference/attachments

Please let me know if I can clarify on anything!

Cheers,
Daniah

Hi Daniah,

Thanks for the reply!

As for #2 above, I’m still a bit foggy as to how the file sharing would function in the way you describe. It seems the link provided is the same as for the first query.

I understand that files would be attached to a task, or we can store them off site. My concern is that once the task is checked off the files are no longer visible.

I’m probably missing something here… Is there a best practice for dealing with this? We can certainly store items in Drive, but what would you suggest as for sharing that link?

@Chris_Rice I believe Daniah meant to share links to our documentation about attachments. I’ve added those links to #2 in her comment above. :slight_smile: To echo Daniah’s point, Asana has several options for file sharing at Asana including linking tasks from your computer, Google Drive, Box, and Dropbox. Asana is a collaboration tool, so all files can be linked to tasks for the purposes of collaboration.

Regarding your question - when you check off a task, the task does not disappear. You can view the attachments in each completed task. Just sort a project or your My Tasks by completed tasks and click into each task. (Remember, when you complete a task it doesn’t get deleted. We try to make sure nothing gets deleted in Asana.)

You can also view files from incomplete and completed tasks in the “Files” section of each project as you can see here

Please let us know if you have any other questions.