Removing a teammate after they leave the organization

We had a teammate leave the organization. She had set up several teams and projects with tasks. A new employee is using her old computer, but her own login and email address. Her opening “My Task” screen shows the old employee’s ID. Is there a way to remove this and have the new employee visible in the opening screen.
Also, if we remove a creator of a project from a team, does it delete or alter the project and tasks?

2 Likes

Hey @Jerry_Wright, if you had a teammate leave the organization, I’d definitely recommend deprovisioning that user from your organization.

If you are a free organization, you can remove the person following these steps here: Setting up an organization in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

In the event that you’re in a premium organization, the admin of your organization can remove users: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/admins#gl-prem-depro

Once you have removed the old employee, I’d recommend creating a new account for the new teammate.

Lastly, if you remove the creator of a project from the team, this will NOT alter the project in any way.

Hope this helps!

8 Likes

Thank you - this was helpful!

Hi,

I wanted to remove some of the member who are not part of any projects and they are keep on appearing in the dropdown when I assign the task to existing members of the project. I don’t know how to do it?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in Advance
Nitin

3 Likes

Go to the Organization settings > Member, that should do the trick! Tell us if you don’t find.

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

1 Like

HI @Nitin_Kothari

Allow me to dig in a bit deeper on this with you, though Bastien & NIcola are absolutely right. Please note, I’ve merged your post with an existing thread a previous community member has asked before.

It’s possible that you removed them from a team (in a free Organization), but did not remove them from the Organization itself. This is why they may not be showing in any teams, but will still appear in the typeahead when you’re assigning tasks.

Please follow these instructions to fully remove this person:

1. Access any team’s Settings from the sidebar: How to Create, Join, and Manage teams in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
  2. Navigate to the Members tab
  3. Invite this person you want to remove: How to Create, Join, and Manage teams in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide
  4. Immediately after inviting, find their name in the Members list, and use your mouse to hover over their name
  5. Click Remove
  6. Then, click Remove Access
  7. Finally, click Deprovision

Note that it is 3 clicks: Remove > Remove Access > Deprovision

You must click all 3. The second click removes the person from the team, and the third click fully removes them from your Organization. For a visual demonstration, please have a look at the GIF in this article: Setting up an organization in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Thanks for response, I am using the free account, In my organization setting, it is displaying following message. image

HI All,

I’m not seeing EXACTLY the answer I’m looking for above, or elsewhere online, so I’m hoping that someone can clarify deprovisioning/removing an organization member for me.

We are a small organization and heavily depend on Asana for our workflow. One of our colleagues has just left our organization and, following best offboarding practices, I want to remove her access from all of our software, including Asana.

When I look up how to remove her from our organization, I see several people citing that deprovisioning an account is the answer to removing someone from an organization. However, if I am understanding that process correctly, all of the tasks previously assigned to her will be moved to a project that only I can see so that I can reassign them to someone else?

I’m hesitant to deprovision her account, because I want to still be able to see her tasks in the original projects they sit in and I want to see that they are her tasks. I will reassign as I go along, but I don’t want to strip her presence out of each project just yet.

Is there another way to “freeze” her access besides deprovisioning her account? Or am I misunderstanding the deprovisioning process and it does exactly what I’m looking to do? I have not wanted to pull the trigger to find out, so I’m stuck until I can get a clear and confident answer to this question.

Thank you!!

10 Likes

Thanks Bastien, it did worked well.

2 Likes

Hi, wondering if you found a solution to this? Thanks.

Hi! I didn’t find a solution as I was looking for it but I am satisfied with the process., Since I asked this question, I have had to de-authorize 3 colleagues from our organization and I am confident of the process now.

When I delete a user from our account, their tasks do all go into a folder that only I can see called “John Doe’s Previously Assigned Tasks”. It’s good to have this one list because that allows me to see everything they were doing and its status and to reassign that to myself and other staff members.

I am also still able to see the “traces” of the departed staff member. Their old tasks appear to not have been assigned, but the record of their work is still linked to the task. Their name shows up as creator of the task, their notes and comments show up, and if I search their name, all tasks associated with them show up in the search. Their name is gone from the “assigned” field, since they are no longer a team member, but that’s a good enough solution for me.

Uploading a screencap so you see how it shows up:

1 Like

I’ve also recently asked about this and getting no where
There should be away of freezing access rather than deprovisioning!

1 Like

Hi Andrew!

Would you explain more about what you envision by “freezing access”?

I have now had to deprovision even more staff members, 7 overall, and I have a lot more insight into what happens in the process and what is left behind. I have not run into any problems or any situations where the information I wanted was not accessible.

If you want to tell me what/how you envision freezing access, I might be able to tell you if that happens with deprovisioning or not.

Cheers!

Odette

Hi Odette

thanks for responding
What I mean is I’d like to disable an ex-employees access but maintain their projects and tasks in that project. I dont want to lose the project structure and tasks by deprovisioning.

Andrew

1 Like

Good news then!

This is also the main thing that I was so very nervous about losing when I initially asked my question. Not only does the deprovisioned employee “grey out” and all of their tasks go to a new project called “X’s Previously Assigned Tasks” that only you can see, but the tasks also stay inside each of their projects. The tasks don’t move out of wherever they currently sit at all, they get assigned to an extra project. Here is a screenshot of what that looks like on my end:

Additionally, this is a snapshot of what the task history looks like. The two other names on here are, in fact, both gone from our organization, but I can still see everything that they did with the task three years later:

I have been very satisfied with how deprovisioning works and am confident that no information is lost or has fallen between the cracks. Further, even after I have reassigned all of their tasks and I see no trace of them anywhere, I can still search their name and all of their previously assigned tasks pop up for me. I’ve had to look back a few times to see when someone did something two or three years ago and it’s popped right up.

Hope this is helpful and please don’t hesitate to reach out with more question or if you still need more clarification/reassurance. I totally understand how nervous you are about losing information!

Good luck,

Odette

3 Likes

thank you so much Odette!

1 Like

Hi Odette
to confirm deprovisioning happens when I click remove in the user profile

1 Like

Hi Andrew!

Yes, that is correct. And it will still give you a couple of chances to back out, should you ever hesitate. And it will walk you through what will happen to the data.

1 Like

I should add that I have only deprovisioned organization members, not guests. So everything I know is about removing an organization member, not a guest. I imagine the behavior is the same, but I can’t vouch for that.

2 Likes