Repeating Tasks not repeating unless completed

tasks

Hi, I’ve been searching your forum and topics and couldn’t find an answer to this or a response with a plausible workaround so posting a new topic.

Currently, if I set a task to be repeating every Monday it doesn’t repeat on Monday unless I’ve completed it first, which means in may miss a Monday if don’t complete it by Monday. I see this is a flaw. If you set it to be repeated on Monday it should just repeat on Monday.

It creates issues for us because if a task (or sub-task of the parent) is held over and the parent is not completed it doesn’t fire off a new copy on Monday like it should.

Is there a workaround for this? I couldn’t see a suggestion in the forums for how to practically manage this problem.

If not, I think a simple suggestion would be to add a tick box in the “repeating tasks” options section that simply says “Repeat even if not completed Y/N”. And if ticked as “Yes” then it’ll fire off another copy on Monday. Make sense?

I can understand both scenario. If you did not complete the last task, why bother pushing you a new one? I think there is currently no workaround…

Thanks for your reply.

A simple use-case is a bookkeeper. They have to do a monthly tax reconciliation with their clients. While the client may be delaying the completion of the last tax cycle they have to start the next cycle regardless. If it fires off late then they risk falling behind in their tax obligations with the government. There are serious implications to that falling over.

Another in our business is the weekly video blog that we put out. Need to start the same cycle each week to have it done by the same day. If one is delayed because an employee is sick for example, doesn’t mean we don’t kick off the next cycle on time. Otherwise, we risk falling further and further behind in our schedule.

I’ve had repeating tasks stop because someone hasn’t completed the last one by accident, and the new one doesn’t fire off so the whole cycle just falls down and until someone picks up on the mistake, but then its too late. And there is no notification in Asana to tell your repeating task hasn’t fired off again.

The point is, there are a tonne of use-cases where people need that functionality. Just because we can’t imagine “why” doesn’t mean there aren’t lots of applications out in the real world where it isn’t needed. Its been a bugbear for me. I’ve so often had repeating tasks fall through the cracks because the last one wasn’t completed by a team member.

Point in case, the top example above for the bookkeeper is for one of our clients (who is a paying Asana premium customer) who is about to stop using Asana because its a major issue for them, and currently there is no workaround. They have 100+ customers that need the next tax cycle to fire off each month without fail. But then they have about 7 task templates that need to be firing off so it becomes a multiplicity problem, which they manually have to work-around. The lack of functionality creates an unnecessary admin overhead that they didn’t have before.

I hope that helps explain it. I think just adding the functionality like suggested in my original post would give the user the choice of how they want it to work and make Asana a much better solution for real-world scenarios.

Your examples make sense :+1: your post is in the right place in the Product Feedback category!

I’d also love to see an option for tasks repeating without completion. My use case:

I wanted to use the Asana Calendar function to plan out the dates for my content. We have 6 different types of content and they all repeat at different intervals. I wanted to set each type as a repeating task so I could easily see what date they fell on. I’ll now have to turn to something like a spreadsheet or Google Calendar instead.

In addition, each piece of content is a task with subtasks. Due dates for the first subtasks for one piece of content are due before all the subtasks of a previous piece of content are complete.

@Dean_Crabb the only workaround I’ve found (and it is far from perfect) is to set up two repeating tasks that leapfrog one another. So if I have a task that needs to be done weekly, I set up Task A for Week 1 and it repeats in two weeks. Then I set up Task B for Week 2 and it repeats in two weeks. So that gives you a week “buffer” if a task is running late.

Does a repeating task necessarily depends on the past one?
Dependency conceptually could be an additional parameter