Report on Task History

My team is using premium Asana, and I’m trying to figure out how to report on work that fails QA the first time. I’m trying to find inefficiencies and figure out how to stop the inordinate amount of rework my team does.

I would like to create a tag or custom field for tasks that fail peer review QA and then track tasks that fail that first (or 2nd or 3rd) QA review in a report so I can review it for trends and possible fixes.

The problem I’m having is I can’t seem to figure out how to report on PAST states of custom fields. If something finally passes qa, I still want to know if it required unnecessary rework before being closed. Am I missing something?

Has anyone else found a way to report on something like this? What I would like to avoid is adding extra work for the team.

@Mark_Hudson is definitely the best at reporting!

In the mean time, I don’t think you can report on custom field past values, unless you build a custom development using the API. You can however create a tag that people can add when the QA fails… With a good process followed by everyone that can work, but I understand that it might not be ideal…

Bastien
Asana Certified Pro, consultant, author and developer

3 Likes

Thanks, @Bastien_Siebman! :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any way that you can report on a custom field’s history. However, just off the top of my head, I’d say the solution might be to create a drop-down field for the number of reviews:

QA review 1
QA review 2
QA review 3

When the task is first peer reviewed, it’s marked with the first drop-down. If it has to go through another round, the assignee marks it as QA review 2, and so on. You can then run an advanced search report at the end of each month for all tasks completed in that period with any value against that custom field. You’ll instantly see how many were completed at review 1, how many got to review 2 before they were completed, and how many went to review 3.

Would that do it, @Lori_Williams?

2 Likes

Yep! That’s a great workaround! Thank you.

1 Like