Sections are converting to tasks

Hi sorry for the newb question but…

I keep inadvertently converting sections to tasks. When I click in the Section and start to edit it - it seems to automagically convert itself to a task.

Any way to stop this?
Any way to convert them back?

Thanks for any help - in advnace

1 Like

The section name has to end in a : in order for it to remain a section header. If you add anything after the : then it will convert to a task.

To convert them back, be sure the task name ends in a :

6 Likes

Thank you kindly
Resolved the issue!

G

4 Likes

Hello @Geoff_Huang and @Gary_Gertz
Asana changed its Section feature, now we cannot switch between section and task using the : anymore.

I cannot find out how to convert a section to a task. Do you have any tips?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi @Kimi,

As you’ve noted, Sections have been changed such that they’re no longer just a task with a : colon at the end but are now completely separate and distinct elements from tasks within Asana. As such it’s no longer possible to switch between them or convert one to the other. There’s more info about this here:

hello @Phil_Seeman
Thank you for your quick reply.
Such a change is quite stupid, why Developers created a change and then eliminate the possibility to switch between task and Section and vice verse :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I stumbled across this change as well and I find it way more frustrating with this new way to create a section than it used to be.

Regardless, I figured this was a bug as when I searched google for “asana sections” as the first result is Setting Up a Project in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide which still explains to if you want to convert a task to a section, you add a colon to the end of it.

You should at the very least update your docs, and ideally should have a section to explain this change to existing users.

4 Likes

Yep, the functionality change on creating sections has now slowed down the creation of sections and tasks. Tab+N apparently does the trick but it’s not intuitive any more.

2 Likes

my point too! I would be really happy, if the developer team gives us back the “:” control for switching between tasks and sections: it was intuitive and gave me a huge flexibility in the process. It is a disaster, that I cannot do it at the moment, especially when I notice after working half an hour that I mistakenly haven’t created a task in a section and have assigned all subtaskt to the section directly. Please, please give us the control back!

3 Likes

I would be really happy, if you switch back to the “:” control for switching between tasks and sections: it was intuitive and gave me a huge flexibility in the process. It is a disaster, that I cannot do it at the moment, especially when I notice after working half an hour that I mistakenly haven’t created a task in a section and have assigned all subtaskt to the section directly. Please, please give us the control back!

1 Like

Just adding my support and request to allow a task to become and section or milestone or back to a task.

6 Likes

PLEASE do as others have requested and convert back to the ability to UNDO a section! We need that flexibility. It sounds like many of us may either need it as a quick fix to an error of setting up sections unintentionally, and others (like myself) need it for re-arranging sections including the need to change some to tasks (as they have descriptions already etc). Keep Tab+N if desired, but we would REALLY appreciate giving us back the ability to use the “:” to create or undo a line as a section.

2 Likes

There is another bug here. When you edit section name on iphone it becomes a task and there is no other way to change it back as just remove task and create a new section on pc (you can not add section on iphone). Team, it’s a really really bad experience. Fix it asap please!

2 Likes

New here and too would like to be able to turn a task back to a section. This is incredibly frustrating and I’m trialing it for purchase. Not intuitive and lack of basic controls

We have a bug @Phil_Seeman - we have a task in project A, we’ve added project B to that task, and that task has been converted to a section on project B. We don’t know how to revert this. Any help?

Hi @Robert_Witchell,

No, sorry, no specific ideas on that one. (Just to make sure there’s no confusion, I don’t work for Asana, I develop integrations for it but am ultimately just a user.)

Best thing for a bug is to report it to Asana here: https://forum.asana.com/c/bugs/report-a-bug

Just adding my support and request to allow a task to become and section using “:” and being able to convert a section into a task.

Agreed. Please enable converting tasks to sections with a shortcut.

Seriously lame backslide by Asana. Once my colon functionality goes, everything else backs up.

Asana: Please bring back the “:” to asana section to task, task to section. Worst, wy have you taken off the possibility to use a section with content, responsable, due date? Why a section is now a simple label? Why why why ???