Static information repository within Asana

Hi All, we are using Asana as project management for each property we service- so each project is a property. That is working out great for tasks and projects related to that property that need to get completed. The challenge we are running into is finding a way to store specific static info for each property within Asana so it is easily accessible and usable. For example, a property will have a variety of vendors associated with it- pool service, landscaper, cleaning crew, etc. A user may need to quickly pull up a vendor associated with that property and call them. Be great to easily do all of that in Asana vs. jump to another property management system, or spreadsheet.
We are currently using the “conversations” section to track some of this info- but that is clunky, and we can’t set that up as a template so each property has consistent data fields. Sounds like we can create a duplicate project with tasks that equal data fields. Then assign it to a “static content” team w/out any due dates or specific assignee. Anyone had any success doing something like this? Or another way to house static information related to the projects? Appreciate any guidance and advice. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi
To keep some data constant into a project, I create tasks which are not assigned to anyone and the title of the task is into brackets […] so that you see them at a glance. Those tasks are left unassigned and uncompleted at the top of the list of tasks of the project. Details are noted in the description.

1 Like

Thanks! Have you found any way to avoid a user accidentally marking complete on that task, even though it’s not assigned to them…and then that info is archived?

You can add yourself as collaborator so that you will get a notification if someone accidentally complete the task, and then you incomplete it.

Or you can use “comment only” project if you’re Premium.

ahhh- comment only might work. Thanks!

1 Like

I do this kind of thing a lot. Here’s how I handle it:

I create a project that holds one task that matches each project. This task list is usually massive and the project itself serves basically as an index. Some of my staff like to put these tasks into the project with the matching names, in which case it’s a task that would never be checked off. Wel call these “master tasks.” Others prefer to put the url to the task in the project description. Either method works.

Now you’ve got a “master task” that is basically a cover sheet for the project. You can put it into any number of projects that have custom fields designating the info you’d like to keep. For instance, you could add that “master task” to a project called “Pool Service” and the custom fields on “Pool Service” include pool service vendor; address (pool service vendor); phone (pool service vendor). You can have up to 20 custom fields per project but I haven’t yet encountered a limit on custom fields per task, so I just add it to other projects if I need fields in excess of 20.

If I do need to toggle to another system (e.g., Salesforce, which we also use), I put the link to the Salesforce account or opportunity or whatever in the project description. It’s super easy - just a click away and doesn’t even feel like a “toggle” at all.

Thanks Aubrey! I will definitely try to play around with a structure like that. May work great!