Stay in Full Screen Mode

Clicking the sides of the page, when viewing a task in full screen mode, takes the page out of full screen mode. It’s ridiculously frustrating.

When viewing a task, you can hit TAB+X, or append /f to the URL, to view it in Full Screen mode. Once there, if you mouse click the grey area to the left or right of the displayed task, you get bumped out of full screen mode. I accidentally do this all the time, and it makes for an extremely frustrating user experience. Can this be changed?

1 Like

At this time there is no way to change this functionality. However, we hear you and can appreciate where you’re coming from with this feedback. Thank you for lettings us know! Our team will keep this in mind as they move forward with the product.

1 Like

I completely agree - so frustrating. If it’s one thing I don’t like about Asana, it’s this :bangbang: :wilted_flower:

5 Likes

i also agree – love Asana, but this UI aspect on the desktop is extremely frustrating, and happens many times a DAY for me.

@Alexis , is it possible to raise this to the Asana team, to consider changing this behavior for the desktop ?

There is an “x” button on the top-right of full-screen mode, and that should be sufficient to return back to the project.

2 Likes

This behavior is really annoying. I always accidentally click the grey area to exit full screen mode especially while typing the description and I have to click outside to save it. Can you guys please consider changing it?

3 Likes

Hi, I noticed that in the docs there is often a screenshot from Asana where the content is showed fit-to-page but in the desktop view, my lists are always centred with huge amounts of grey space around them. How can I utilize the full width of real-estate? It’s quite irritating when pulling a report and it only taking up a third of my screen width.

Thanks!

2020 here…just join asana, still having same issue.
this experience so irritating.

Here in 2021 it still sucks.
With the left side bar out it requires 1150px width to render everything. Which doesn’t work with 2 up or portrait mode on most monitors.
And of course it loves to pop the left side bar out all the time and the first thing you lose below 1150 is the … menu on the issue sidebar, the one with the fullscreen option on it.

Further to this, if you highlight stuff in the issue, either to copy it or as a place marker while reading, then to clear that highlighting it’s natural to click in some dead space and on the fullscreen issue page the big huge dead space is the grey sides, except it’s not dead space, it’s an enormous, stealthed, take me back to the board button.
It even catches right click.

If you use a chrome extension like “User JavaScript and CSS” and have it add the following CSS to the Asana pages it seems to block this behaviour without breaking anything else. YMMV

.FocusModePage {
pointer-events: none;
}
.FocusModePage-taskPane {
pointer-events: auto;
}

1 Like

So annoying, voted as well.
Thanks Gordon for the CSS trick!

I come from Atlassian JIRA and thought I found a glitch or something. Who wants to work on a task and have it limited to 30% of the screen? This is beyond my mind, very annoying.

Thanks @anon61287267 for the good workaround.

If you add this:

.AsanaMain-sidebar {
	position: absolute;
	z-index: 1000000;
	height: 100%;
}
.ExpandSidebarButton--shouldHide {
    margin-right: 24px !important;
    max-width: 43px !important;
    overflow: visible !important;
}

it will make the left side bar pop over instead of pushing the whole page over, this is useful on narrow monitors where it’s pushing can cause the add issue button, the … menu on the right sidebar and half the text on the right side bar to get pushed off the right side of the screen