Subtask due dates in relation to repeating task

I have a repeating task with subtasks. All the subtasks have the same relationship to the task, date wise) – i.e. the whole task is due on a Monday, step one is due the previous Wed, step 2 the previous Friday, etc.

But when the task repeats with a new due date, the dates of the subtasks don’t update–they all show from the first time I entered them.

Is there a way to make the subtasks advance by the same amount as their parent task when repeating?

I think you’d need to set the subtasks to repeat as well.

I thought I saw that you’re not supposed to set repeating subtasks on repeating tasks because you get infinite loops.

1 Like

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. To be honest, I can’t think of a workaround here… If it were me, I’d set the parent task to repeat and each week you’ll likely have to manually set the due dates for the subtasks.

Two years later and I still desperately want this feature!!!

4 Likes

I thought I was going crazy!
I have a reoccurring parent task to check sales and inventory weekly.
I tried to make the subtasks reoccurring but since the subtasks are due 1-2 days before the parent task, the subtasks are then repopulated under the uncompleted weekly parent task.

Parent task- is due Friday
Subtask- Out of stock report due Wednesday
Subtask- WTD sales due Wednesday
Subtask- Shipping issues reported Due Thursday

I have removed the subtasks from being reoccurring, now when I complete the task on Friday, The parent task is repopulated but the subtasks due dates are red as if they are past due.

We are also utilizing this style of task for reoccurring meetings.
Parent task is the meeting and we add all attendees as collaborators to add their agenda as needed.
We then create subtasks for all action steps identified from the meeting. We have to constantly remember that when the meeting task is completed to go into the project and delete the subtasks or multiple people will receive duplicate tasks or tasks that have been completed but are now showing as overdue.

I would love to see this update!