Subtask status/indicators in boards

Absolutely and VERY STRONGLY suggest we have status indicators on the card itself. Wonā€™t clutter at all, but will make life way easier.

New members to the project donā€™t have a clue whether a card has a sub-task or not, and how many left to be completed, till they open it. I donā€™t see any reason, whatsoever, why not.

A short indicator e.g. 2/5
^indicating 2 out of 5 tasks are done. Helping everyone know it without opening each separate card.

That would definitely make my life easier!

Adding up to the conversation: If a subtask is late it could show an indicator too, which could be the progress count (4/5) in red, for instance. Iā€™m currently using a 3rd Party app to do this workaround and have a complimentary view of the board.

Yes please, this would be really helpful. As others have noted, this is something Iā€™ve really missed since moving from Trello.

Has there been any update with this? I think itā€™s really important for us to be able to see what subtasks have been completed at a glance, and that would enable us to apply our resources to the tasks trailing behind. Click into each card takes a while.

I also used to like this in Trello and Favro. Please bring to Asana

I think iā€™m missing the down arrow. I donā€™t see any indicators of sub tasks. This should be pretty simple to display. Asana is not my friend right now.

Hi everyone - first post here, having migrated from Trello. I currently use Asana for self-management but hope to start using the tool for wider collaboration soon.

Something that Iā€™d really like to see is that when I add sub tasks to a card/task, thereā€™s no summary of those sub-tasks in the top level card. If I look at a card at the moment, there is no visual indicator that there are sub-tasks and therefore no summary info as to progress of those sub-tasks.

If I put a link or a comment or an attachment to a card, then there is a visual indicator that it exists. Using the same idea, could there be an indication that there are sub tasks (using your own icon), then followed by 8/10, meaning 8 sub tasks complete out of 10? Itā€™s a real pain to manually remember which cards have sub tasks - and I use them a lot!

Is this on your product development roadmap - hope so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community Forum @Neil1 and thanks for sharing your feedback with us,! We already have a thread on this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate all feedback on one single thread. Feel free to add your vote to this main thread as votes donā€™t carry over when merging threads :slight_smile:

I just needed to voice that this feature is really required. It makes organising project so much easier. In my opinion a simple slim progress bar is the best way to showcase it. But a 3/5 information on the actual task/card would be fine as well. Just some note that there are subtasks and how the state of the task it self is going.

An example from another system:

This is the number one request from my company as well- specifically a progress indicator for subtasks. Its super useful to show stakeholders how far along campaigns are. Our photographer still uses Trello for checklists for this reason and all we would need is a percentage bar

When we board view our project, it would be great if subtasks were visible nested within (possibly as bullet note text) or under (as indented boards) their main tasks. It can otherwise be difficult to know/remember what youā€™ve already subtasked out.

This would be super helfpul!!!

Welcome to the Forum @Ryan_Finnegan and thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We actually already have a thread on this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main topic to gather all feedback and votes in one place; hope you donā€™t mind :slight_smile:

After some googling, it seems like this feature still isnā€™t implemented. (Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong here!)

Iā€™m curious, whatā€™s the rationale for not adding this feature? Design choice? Not enough developer bandwidth? Not high priority?

It seems like ā€œthe peopleā€ have been requesting this feature consistently for over 2 years.

FWIW I got an email in the past couple weeks asking to do a user interview related to sub-tasks, so there may finally be some movement on this. Hopefully itā€™s a good sign :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Iā€™m struggling to understand if I have any way to show the progress towards subtask completion. Is this a feature that is under development?

It would be so valuable to be able to have an indicator of the progress.

1 Like

Hi @Caitlin_Michie and welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us! Others users have shared the same feedback in the Forum so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread to consolidate feedback and votes.

And while I donā€™t have a precise timeline to share at the moment, Iā€™ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have an update about it! Have a great weekend!

Hi folks,

Great news! We just implemented this feature request as part of Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View! - #25 by Francesco_Alessi

Note that the subtask indicator is available in both List and Board views :slight_smile: