Subtasks in team calendar but not project calendar?

Hi there - can anybody explain to me why i can see subtasks in my team calendar but not the project calendar? If you could please please just add the ability to show subtasks in the project calendar (which you must already have the tech for as it works in team) that would be just super. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @John_White. Subtasks to not inherit from their parent task project (How to Use Asana subtasks | Product guide • Asana Product Guide), which might explain why you’re not seeing your subtasks in your Project Calendar. Try adding your subtasks to the project manually using the “Tab+P” (Keyboard shortcuts in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide) shortcut and you should be able to see them in your Project Calendar. Hope this helps!

Hi Marie,

thanks for coming back to me… but in honesty don’t you think that sounds like a really clunky solution? Why would a subtask not inherit the project of it’s parent? I see a lot of other people are asking the same question so hope you can add this feature soon.

best

J

5 Likes

TBH, not everybody wants subtasks to be highly visible, as they would be if explicitly added to the project. A lot depends on individual use models. Some people, or everybody at some times, wants to see a calendar with only the big picture actions, not all the small daily to-dos. I would suggest this choice fits better as an option.

Perhaps a preference or “hack” can be added to test the usefulness of users having the ability to decide whether they want subtasks to inherit the parent projects?

2 Likes

TBH Stephanie you’re assuming we all use the tool in the way you do. In the case I am talking about the sub tasks are not small daily to do’s but important nested milestones.

Nonetheless, optional or otherwise is fine. I wasn’t looking to get into a PM bunfight.

2 Likes

On this note, it would also be really nice to be able to toggle the subtask view on the team calendar. On this one, I need more of an overview, on specific project calendars, that’s where I’d want to see the nitty-gritty. Wouldn’t it make more sense to reverse these?

7 Likes

Maybe the people at my company who set up our Asana didn’t know how to best use it, but based on how we are using it, this seems backwards to me. We have one team and multiple projects. So it would be much more helpful for us to see only important project dates on the team calendar and all the sub tasks on the individual project calendars. Couldn’t the devs just add two check boxes to tasks - show on team calendar and show on project calendar?

1 Like