We want/need indexed wildcard search!

:wink:

Edwin

4 Likes

Agree - wildcard search is critical and such a basic function.

4 Likes

I had the exact same issue about 2 years ago. I was told it was a bug and the Advanced Search box should do a substring search (it also says “contains the words” in the box to remind you) but it doesn’t do that 2 years later. Even worse, when it returns no results the page says “use a less specific search” but of course you can’t do that. Either way, I agree, there still needs to be a way to use eg wildcards or quotes to specify non-exact or exact search to change the default behavior.

2 Likes

HELLO ASANA! Can we not get some kind of response on this? Is Asana not based upon a database? On AWS? This is child’s play for any database of any kind - why won’t you either fix the bug (as Marty mentioned above) or add true search abilities? Again - we’re talking about functionality that exists in nearly any type of product nowadays . . .

3 Likes

Still not working, search does not find part of keywords, can we expect a date for the fix?

1 Like

Hi @Hanss and welcome to the Forum!:wave:

We don’t have an expected date at the moment but we’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as we do!

2 Likes

+1 vote from me too.
Its normal to be able to do partial work searches in most apps these days.
Please implement this as I was really struggling until I found this thread to confirm this is the current behaviour by design.

Hi, partial word search doesn’t work when doing an advance search. This could be really usefull when searching for a word that is singular or plural. Also searching words with accent (in French) is causing some trouble since we have to search for the word with and without accents (sometimes people do not put them)

Any idea if this will be corrected soon,

Not yet @Francois_Pare, but I’m keeping an eye on this feedback and will keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

I Think they can’t FIND the topic :wink:

In June we will hit the 3 year mark for a feature request for basic search features. A company that sells an application to manage information should respond to User’s requests to improve search!

Paying customers are wondering why it is taking so long. We wonder if the company cares.

Why can we not search on substrings? Users intimately know this limitation and it is very frustrating.

The situation is this. Users put information into the Asana database yet we cannot find the information later through substring search. This is a serious flaw in Asana. The paying Users would be grateful if this problem was addressed in 2020.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Not having double quote multiple word search capability generates too many matches, bogging down efficiency in Asana on a daily basis. Love the tool but need this basic feature.

1 Like

Wow I am truly surprised there has been no official response to the varied search related requests posted here. As of today I am finding that text in the Description field is not being searched only text found in the task/project name itself. As our organization’s tasks and project continue to grow this is becoming a major productivity issue, which is the very reason we began using this platform for productivity gains not losses. C’mon Asana what say you on this?

1 Like

I was advicing our CEO to start using Asana, but missing wildcards in search is really crucial for us. Please add it…for your own good :wink:

2 Likes

This program is excellent. But no wildcard searches? This has been so difficult to manage. This is like 1960’s level programming.

If you can at least comment on why this is not possible, it may alleviate some of the issue and help find a work around.

2 Likes

FYI, we have made a workaround because this is crucial for us too
We sync asana to Google sheets/docs to have a full text search with “” and also a (sort) of wildcard search
Also possible to sync with Evernote, Office online and/or other system and then use a ( indexed) search system

It’s not ideal but it’s a atart

1 Like

Please look at this ASAP as it’s so annoying when searching for part of an email address / phone numbers with or without spacing and singular v plural and the list goes on.

this is still open since 2017??? we need this function as well… a simple wild card search should not be a difficult thing

3 Likes

Voted. This should be available.

2 Likes

I will purchase a PRO plan as soon as we are able to search for “contains”; without that, there is NO WAY to search for a project.

1 Like