Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa)

Alsoā€¦ just realised that You cant add more than one assignee to a task! That really sucks. I Cant think of any project in a team based scenario where only one person is associated with a project task (even if the other assignees are associated only in a monitoring basis). I think it really needs this functionality.

There is a clunky work around where copies of tasks can be associated with another assignee, BUT you can only do that if the project is set up in List mode. It cant be done in Board mode. This really makes me think that the underlying architecture is very poorly designed and that the lis / board modes operate completely independently. Very worrying for an enterprise level SaaS application.

Time to start looking for an alternative. Really glad we havenā€™t dived in and moved all of our projects to a paid version of Asana yet.

2 Likes

We also really need this. Thanks.

I need this feature as well, I donā€™t like the Boards view because I donā€™t see the tags, only the tag color.

+1 for this function

Quote from Alexis back in Marchā€¦ Donā€™t hold your breath!

+1 for switching between board/list view

I currently use the free version of Asana, and I suspect a lot of small firms get by with it, as well. Does anyone use the Dashboard, and does it give an overview similar to Card view? If so, that might explain why Asana is dragging its feet, given that using Dashboard with more than 3 projects requires an upgrade. They may want to push people to upgrade. I have not yet persuaded the owner of my company to trial it, much less pay for it, so that is out for us.

The inability for us to convert between Card and List view is likely going to prevent her from even considering it, given that we currently use MS Planner (UGH).

2 Likes

+1 for switching between board and list view with a few clicks. Could be global or specific to project, whichever is easier for the developers. Easiest for users would likely be global. Card view is great for team collaboration and meetings. List view is best for individual work efforts.

3 Likes

Does it integrate with Harvest? We use Harvest and the Asana-Harvest integration is so seamless.

Sorry - I donā€™t know :frowning:

Same for me!
It is a big missing functionality.
thanks!

Agreed, itā€™s very strange that you just see a color. Specifically ā€œCustom Fieldsā€ too. In ā€œlistā€ view, you see all of the custom fields and tags/projects. But in board view you donā€™t see anything. You should be able to see tags, custom fields, etc.

2 Likes

What is so funny is that Justin Rosenstein, Asana Co-Founder literally said that this functionality would be coming within months if Boards releasing on an article written on The Verge back in November of 2016

In the first version of boards, you have to build them by hand. Itā€™s easy ā€” you create labels for some columns, add ā€œcardsā€ by typing in their names, and move them around however you like using drag and drop. Whatā€™s more interesting is whatā€™s coming next. Within months, Rosenstein says, ā€œboardsā€ will simply become one view inside Asana. If you like using lists to get your work done, you can stick with lists. If you prefer boards, you can tap ā€œboardsā€ and visualize your list of projects that way. Different colleagues can work according to their own preferences. And different projects can take the shape that best suits them.

Boards are flexible tools for visualizing work, Rosenstein says, but ultimately underpowered. ā€œThis is a great feature, but itā€™s not a product,ā€ he said. ā€œIt deserves to be a product instead of a feature.ā€

Here we are about a year later asking for it as he had envisioned and we are directed to kludgy work-arounds that duplicate boards and require constantly linking tasks.

Slightly dissapointed, but based on all of the responses here, and what Rosenstein said in how he described ā€œboardsā€, it really does seem like this feature has got to be coming soon?

3 Likes

+1 for this function!

ā€œCardsā€ view in Trello shows you all the cards youā€™re a member of

+1 for this function, please!! :slight_smile: thanks!

+1000 for this function. Now we are forced to add all the list to another project that is in card view in order for us to work on it.

And also the card view is very limited function, no preview on tag, number of sub tasks containing it, and total number of task under each section.

I have checked: Freedcamp, Bitrix24, Hive & Freedcamp just to replace this function and thinking to move away from Asana.

I believe this is a simple function and can be implemented easily.

Please makes us love Asana more.

4 Likes

+1 ! Hope it will come soon ! :slight_smile:

1 Like