Task Dependencies - the missing piece

Thanks for following up on this question @Brad_Heydon and my apologies for not jumping in earlier in the conversation. I can ensure you that we’re closely monitoring our #productfeedback category and this thread in particular as we’re aware it is a popular request. While I don’t have an update to share today, we’re definitely planning to improve task dependencies in the future and as always, we will plan these improvements around your feedback. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their feedback and provide us with some context, this is extremely helpful! On my end, I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have an update!

Marie, I’m about to start a major project, and I’d like to use Asana for our task tracking processes. Task dependencies are a major issue on any project, and It’s good to know that this topic is on the radar for the development team to make the improvements needed to for the feature to be fully functional. However, I’m wondering if there is a workaround solution that could be implemented by project teams that are using Asana in the meantime? Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Hi all

It would be super helpful to be able to define what happens when a task or subtask is complete.

I understand you can state dependencies, however what I’d like is when Subtask A is complete, assign Subtask B to Team Member X, with a deadline of Y days from today. That kind of thing…

Cheers
Mark

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Mark_Norton! We already have a thread on this topic, so I have gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread; hope that’s ok!

Right now subtasks have no relation to whether or not the parent-task can actually be completed. So if a parent is dependent on a subtask, there is no real protection against premature completion of the parent task.

Here’s a use case:
The task is Quality Control for a feature release
We have a set of required QC measures and a set of optional things to keep an eye for, but aren’t musts prior to release
We want the QC task to have all the QC measures, with some of them being mandatory and others being optional.
The QC task should only be completable when all mandatory subtasks are completed.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Fonti! We already have a thread on this topic, so I have merged your post with this main thread; hope that’s ok!

Thank’s for merging Marie!

1 Like

Adding my vote for Ana’s recommendation. The inclusion of task dependencies, which change with event modifications is needed, Please

1 Like

I came to the forums looking for exactly the feature being discussed here. Just want to add my voice to folks here. It would be really helpful to have better handing of task dependencies, and when due dates are managed.

2 Likes

Coming in 1.5 years after these original posts. Couldn’t agree more. Has Asana added this feature yet, the ability to push out dependant tasks if the original task moves dates?

2 Likes

Yes absolutely need the ability to hide dependent tasks, seems like it defeats the purpose without it. Hope this feature comes soon

1 Like

Similar to some of the posts above, I would love to have the option to set a task be dependent on all of its subtasks by default, or to easily select which subtasks it is dependent on.

2 Likes

A parent task with subtasks that have dependencies displays “Mark Complete” instead of “Waiting on” in the task list. “Mark Complete” should only show after all subtasks with dependencies have been completed or deleted.

Create Task A. Add Subtask B to Task A. Create Task C. Make Subtask B dependent on Task C. View the task list. Task A can be marked completed while Subtask B is still waiting on Task C to complete.

Google Chrome Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

2 Likes

Hi @mike16 and welcome to the Forum!

I see what you mean here. Unfortunately, this is not a bug, but rather a product limitation. As it stands, a task with subtasks including dependencies can be marked complete although subtasks are still dependent on other incomplete tasks. We already have a thread on this topic in the #productfeedback of our Forum: Task Dependencies - the missing piece I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with this main thread and would highly recommend you to add your vote to this thread too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the help and welcome Marie. Looks like this issue has quite a bit visibility already. Hopefully that means it’ll appear on Asana’s radar.

2 Likes

Agree dependent tasks need to be completed before the parent task can.
Fix the bug for project templates with dependent tasks, they dont inherit the project task but retain the template task

1 Like

Hi @Marie - Hoping this is implemented soon!!!

1 Like

Has anyone found a good to-do list that actually implements dependencies?

You can call it a feature limitation if you want, but dependencies are broken if I can’t hide tasks that I can’t work on yet, view tasks that are waiting on something else, or have tasks with dependencies shift dates as the things they are dependent on shift.

1 Like

If a task is dependent on other tasks behind it, there’s a note in that task so you can see if it’s running late, easily message the owner, etc. However, there’s nothing in the task behind. I think it would be useful to have a note in that task telling the owner that a task downstream is waiting for it. That way if there’s a delay they know to let the other dependent task owner know.

Hi @Beth_Morgan! Welcome to the Forum, thanks for your feedback. We will certainly take your suggestion into consideration as we work on improving our Task Dependencies feature. We already have a thread on this topic here, therefore, if you don’t mind, I’m merging your post so that you and other users can add your vote. :slight_smile:

1 Like