Tasks keep running out of order

Hi there,

I have been re-ordering tasks by clicking and dragging for some time now and it’s worked like a charm. However of late, new tasks as well as existing tasks have the tendency of migrating to the bottom of the task list on their own.

This is a little dangerous as sometimes tasks are time-sensitive and if they have gone to the lowest priority without my knowing, my project delivery is affected.

Has anyone else been experiencing this mysterious task re-ordering too?

Also, I have encountered many an occasion where my developer who is working remotely, hasn’t been able to get real-time updates when I re-order tasks. He has to reload Asana manually in order to see the latest task list.

Appreciate any input to shed some light on this! Thank you!

Hi Vix,

It sounds like you’re probably experiencing an issue related to Today, Upcoming, Later. This could also be a matter of task due date. To confirm, are you seeing this issue in My Tasks?

I suggest you take a look at this Guide article, which may help you find the solution you’re looking for:

Let us know if you have follow up questions :slight_smile:

I’m having the same issue. All tasks are set to Upcoming, yet they still end up out of order.

Hi Alexis,
I add tasks to my developer’s Task screen and do the reordering there.
Say for instance:

1. I’ve created a new task in the Today section for my developer in his Task
    screen – I did this by clicking on the task above and hit enter to make a
    new one. I’ve inserted this new task between two other existing tasks.

2. I key in the title and assigned it as due Today. A few seconds later, this
    new task jumps to the bottom of the list. Previously, any new tasks created
    would stay at the point where I inserted it.

It’s a little dangerous for my project management as sometimes I don’t notice
this ‘jump’ and my developer ends up getting to it last, when the task needed to
be attended to first.

I’ve been using Asana for more than a year now, and this glitch has only
happened within the last month or so.
Any pointers?

Any advice on this?

It really is wreaking havoc on our projects.

Hi there,

Unfortunately there isn’t much we can do about this right now. The order in which tasks populate is structured to maximize efficiency of the product, in keeping with our emphasis on making Asana faster. However, our team uses Asana all day every day :sweat_smile: so we understand how the order of these tasks can become challenging. Thanks so much for your feedback. I’ve passed it along to our product team.

Thanks,
Alexis