Using Asana to bring your team/company together

Here at Asana, we use Asana for nearly everything – long-term strategic planning, shorter-term project work, performance reviews, requests from other teams… it’s all in there. When I reflect on all the ways we use it, it’s how we use Asana to build company culture and cohesion that really stick out as favorites. A few fun examples:

• Company-wide Voting on Opportunities : We have a Project in our Staff Team called Product Opportunities. Any Asana is encouraged to add Tasks to this Project if they have an idea for improvements – since we all dogfood our product, these definitely come up! Other team members heart ideas that resonate with them, and we sort the Project by Popular Tasks to see which ideas are getting the most traction among the company. This is not only a valuable feedback mechanism, but a way of making our culture of empowerment real for all Asanas.
  • New Hire Introductions : When a new employee starts, we introduce them through a post in our Staff Team’s Conversations tab. We’ll include a few pictures of the new person, along with fun facts about their background or interests. It provides the team an opportunity to warmly welcome each new hire, connect about shared interests and put a face to a name.
  • Team Bonding : Our team members has a Project called “Things We Love”, with Custom Fields like “Favorite meal for under $10”, “Actor/Actress that would play you in a movie” and “Ideal Friday Night”. Each member of the team has their own Task. Not only is it the go-to for knowing which candy bar to buy on a birthday, it’s a great way to connect with teammates, especially those in remote offices. I love browsing this Project.
  • I’m Glad You Asked! : I was recently stumped on (what I thought was) a simple usability issue with Asana. After a few minutes of searching, I asked a coworker, who directed me to our “I’m Glad You Asked” Project. The Project Description is simply “Please ask any question that’s on your mind, and answer any question that you can.” The Project is a wealth of knowledge about all sorts of topics, from “What music is good for working?” to “How do I propose new interview questions?” to “What browsers do we support?”. I filed my question and got an answer right away, including more information about the issue than I could have ever found myself. Not only did my question get resolved, but it’s now filed in the Project to help future Asanas! I am so glad I asked :slight_smile:

I’d love to hear more about whether you’ve tried (or would like to try) any of the above, and hear your creative ideas for how to use Asana to knit your teams together! Any uses of Asana to build company culture that have worked well for your team?

Thank you for providing these wonderful examples, Sara! These definitely provide some great inspiration and ideas for applying to my company team.

My company has been heavily invested in Asana for years. As such, Asana itself has become part of our company culture. From a tangible perspective, our on-boarding process for each employee is managed in Asana. Naturally, most of our project work is managed in Asana as well.

However, the real cultural benefits come into play when we use Asana to foster transparency. To do this, we invite our clients into Asana project teams and hide nothing in there from them. If they want to dive into the weeds of our development tasks, they can. Using Asana to provide a breadth of information, both externally and internally, has been a primary driver of our culture.

I’d like to hear how Asana uses its’ own platform for 360 performance reviews, Sara. Right now we are using another platform that is not as friendly or easy to understand as Asana to use and that is creating a resistance to using it (although it is good for creating repeatable 360 review cycles).

Hi @Ross_Jurewitz,

Here at Asana we conduct a handful of different reviews throughout the year (ex. peer, manager, etc.). We keep instructions for these reviews in a view only Google Doc, and then conduct reviews in private docs and/or private tasks. When applicable, we’ll share a private task with a manager and/or add a link to a Google doc review within that task.

Let us know if you have follow up questions. Thanks!