Using Asana to field external requests

I work in the marketing department for a small non-profit. The marketing department often receives requests from other departments in our organization. We would like to use Asana to help us manage those tasks. Is there a way for us to do that besides manually adding them to Asana? Only our department is using Asana at this point; the rest of the organization is not.

Hey @Advocate,

You can create an email filter at your client, forward that messages to Asana and let Asana email bridge to create the tasks. Link below.

There are many ways to do that. For example:

• you can create a mailing list that forwards the email to you and an email filter forwards these emails to asana (you will be the user that created the task)

• you can create a filter on the email subject (i.e [Request] A new request) and forward these emails to asana

• you can create a new bot user in asana for example ( and forward the emails of this user to Asana. With this way, you will able to receive inbox notifications.

• you can use Zapier.

Why don’t you try to bring all the organization in Asana? I know it’s really hard and needs time to onboard, but you will be rewarded at the end.

@Advocate if this were me, I’d ask the people send the requests to send them directly to the Asana specific project email address. Each project comes with a unique email, so they can send them to this address and they automatically get added to the project. You can learn more about this feature here:

Please let me know if you have any more questions. If you’re interested in improving your use of Asana further or want to discuss team training, please feel free to book a free 30-minute introductory call with me to discuss consulting options.

Hey @paulminors,

I think that that the email will be dropped from asana if the sender is not an Asana user with access in the specific team/project/organization.

Ps. Keep up the good work with the productivity posts and videos. I like them :slight_smile:

@Diakoptis I would look into any number of forms generators that allow a PDF completed form to be sent to a project email address with you as the submitter but all information in the form… Then I would set up a project for submitted requests, use the project ID in forms manager forward, Then set up an In-process Project to change the Requests. Make necessay assignments and maintain until completed… I set this up as an IT ticketing system recently. Here is Asana documentation on how to impliment google forms just submitted by @Sara

Correct, the project specific emails only work if they’re a member of the project or team that the project belongs to!

@Advocate, I would advise setting up a catch all email like marketing@yourorg where people send requests there, and you set up the auto forwarding like @Diakoptis recommended - sending them to a catch-all requests project that you or whomever have task creation notifications on for.

The only issue with this method is that there’s no back and forth via email the way there would be if you added them to the org, if you needed answers from them you would have to email or slack them etc. I believe there are solutions out there (3rd party), similar to Customer Support functions - where people use Asana for CS purposes. However if you’re looking to not add a 3rd party for reasons, then the forwarding would be the way to go IMO! =)