Viewing all assigned tasks across multiple workspaces

Hi @Alexis, are there any plans to add this super important feature to Asana? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

+1 - I have a lot of workspaces that I’m a part of that I’d like to be able to prioritize my time across.

4 Likes

Hi Paula - We’re unable to provide updates on feature requests at this time. For more information how we engage with product feedback here in the Community, please take a look at this post:

I can vouch for this feature request. Asana, make it happen!!

13 Likes

For an Asana newcomer, this is a HUGE bummer!

I had plans to transition my personal life organization from Wunderlist to an Asana workspace so I could use Asana to manage projects/tasks in my Organization AND my life all in one place. I was even considering recommending a more broad adoption of the software in my company (~400 ee’s, entirely team project driven), but the lack of a global task view across your workspaces/organizations is essentially a deal breaker.

The workspace/organization segmentation with no global task view makes it seem Asana conceptually believes one individual’s tasks from different contexts will never be interrelated or need to commingle; however, who ever truly works in one figurative “workspace” at a time? You have to call the doctor/vendor/bank/etc. while at work, sometimes you want to research something for a work project at home over the weekend, etc. Seeing all the projects in your personal universe across workspaces and organizations with a simple tag identifying it’s workspace/organization would be HUGE.

This seems like a major shortcoming and prevents me from recommending and adopting permanently. If I have to switch workspaces/organization to see personal tasks lists (or task lists for an nonprofit I’m on, or a PTA I’m on, etc.), then it’s really no different then managing my “work” projects and tasks on Asana and sticking with Wunderlist (or another task/project app) for personal. It was SO CLOSE to being the project/task manager I was looking for! Can’t imagine its a security concern or a complex coding delay. Conceptual/philosophical difference? Monetization?

I would be an Asana believer and champion with this feature and imagine it’s a common request!

48 Likes

@SparkleSudz I have a couple comments on this.

1. I assume you know that you can create a hyperlink to another organization and have it on your main organization page. In essence you can have a navigation page on each of your organizations that takes you back to the organizations that you are in. I have attached an example

What I really like about this method is you can make it a Favorite on each Workspace/Organization and navigation is rapid and doesn’t open additional Asana windows. Additionally Favorite Reports have their own URL that can be part of this concept I believe thus, you could see your tasks.

2. Asana’s free 15 plan encourages a lot of not for profits etc to use Asana in the first place and the mere ability to be a premium member but be a guest or member of another organization in some ways is being generated by this generous policy.

3. I do agree that your suggestion would be a great enhancement to see everything at once and I have yet to see an integration that handles this well as UI are pathetic. But with the hyperlink control page on every organization it is not a make or break for me. But I also understand fully that everyone has their own make or break features list.

4. I am accumulating a list of Asana API developers on Upworks with small projects so I can recommend when somebody wants something. There are some pretty good developers that charge $15-$35 per hour. I actually developed CSV To Asana Simple List Generator- My Gift To Community - #33 by James_Carl using an Upworks programmer using an Upworks programmer and donated it to the community. I think between the original and now the version that tracks time it cost me less than $200 and there is a ton of logic in it due to the constraints of the Asana CSV file.

5. I think if users have a special request and they want to really get something done quickly groups should band together. I know for a fact lots of things can be done with the API because I own www.sendana.net. (albeit this was not done be Upworks but a Microsoft MVP and I have thousands of dollars into its development, (but it is well worth it :).

Just some thoughts

8 Likes

@James_Carl thanks for your reply and thanks for the tip! I think I’m following you in #1, but I’m struggling a bit understanding how this would bridge the gap to a global “My Tasks” lists. If i’m understanding it correctly, this would make it easier to navigate back and forth between workspaces/organizations but doesn’t necessarily do anything to present tasks from multiple workspaces/organizations in one place. Am I understanding it right?

I totally agree the free 15 plan is very generous and I hope Asana is capitalizing from premium memberships enough to reward the great work they do.

Absolutely my make or break feature isn’t everyone’s, I get that! Also, I’m still new to the app, so maybe I’m wishing for Asana to be something it doesn’t aim to be. This just seems like it could be a game changing feature. For me, it would make Asana a tool I can’t live without (and I think a lot of GTD type minded people using Asana would say the same).

Great point (and good work) on influencing improvement/features through API and Upwork. Unfortunately, I don’t possess the skills/know how to even coordinate an effort like that! Would be great if free-mium applications had a “requested features” page where you could “vote” with donations. If a feature (assuming it’s not crazy/impossible) hits some pre-determined goal, it get’s prioritized in development. Surely some hurdles to that approach I’m not thinking of, but just an idea. I’d prefer a core feature to an integration obviously, but beggars can’t be choosers I guess!

6 Likes

@SparkleSudz, You are correct the solution does not present a global My Tasks lists in one place, just accelerates navigation. What I would do is the following:

1. Make a Saved Favorite Report in each organization with designation of you as Assigned To.

. You can add anything else to refine what you want to see and of course you can sort it in numerous ways. Some people (not all) use this instead of My Tasks.

2. You can use Tags or Custom Fields (Premium) to replicate the same categories in My Tasks although My Tasks is intended to replicate GTD.

3. Save the URL of the Save Favorite in your Project as I showed of above to be your Command and Control Center for your own Assignments.

It is not what you are asking for but maybe it would be helpful.

Thanks

3 Likes

@James_Carl very helpful. Thanks! I’ll be keeping an eye on your Asana/Upwork activity…and I’ll be crossing my fingers for a global task view for GTD domination!

Thanks again for engaging. Glad I joined the community

1 Like

We’re glad you joined, too! :hugs:

I’ll throw my hat in here. Seeing a calendar of all my workspaces is very important to me, and I believe that is what many of us see as our future as the internet and technology provide a way for more flexible working environments.
Is there a way I can send all my calendars to Google or somewhere until this feature becomes a reality? I’m worried that they won’t update well, I’ve had problems with other apps being slow to sync.

10 Likes

Plus 1. I am currently reviewing Asana for adoption personally and ideally my companies/business partners. It looks great in most areas but this pretty major shortcoming in my view. I would imagine others who have multiple businesses like to keep each one seperate but require a global view of what they need to do each day, not to mention our personal life that needs to be weaved between them (or over them :-)) all.
early days but I can see a possible way or two around it, but it just adds more complexity.

5 Likes

It is quite easy integrate Asana with Google Calendar (or any other similar app), you can create an automaticaly synced calendar for any number of your projects, tags, My task lists from any workspaces and have them displayed in your Google calendar.

Unfortunately the calendars won’t sync in real-time, but otherwise it works quite well.

1 Like

I have used quite successfully a workaround to be able to have an overview of task from other workspaces in one place. As @James_Carl mentioned you can copy link to project from one workspace to an other. You can do that also with tasks and those links show a check mark if the linked task is done, so if you include a list of links to task from another workspace in a comment or task description, you can quickly check what needs to be done without leaving your current workspace.

There are many possibilities how to use this feature, I have one main workspace where I have all my personal projects and where I keep track of projects going on in other workspaces. To do that i adopted the following workflow:

1. For each project I want to track in my personal overview workspace I create a recurring task. In the description of the task I keep a link to the project in the other workspace to easily access the project itself.

2. At a regular basis, for example once per week. I go to the project, select the tasks that I want to do that week and hit ctrl+c to copy them. I go back to my overview workspace and paste them into a comment to the recurring task. (I’m pasting the list into comments so that the list is not carried over to the next instance of the recurring task.)

3. The recurring task works as a placeholder for the project from the other workspace. I change its due date to the earliest due date of the linked tasks and use it to plan my work as usual within the My Task view.

4. When a task in the original project in the other workspace is done, a little check mark appears in front of the link to the task.
    Screenshot_20170812_154403

5. If something changes - for example new tasks are added and assigned to me in the original project, I just add another comment and I keep the most up-to-date comments pinned to the top to avoid confusion.

6. When all linked task are done and I’m done with that project for the time being, I mark it completed. As it is a recurring task a new instance is created - the link to the original project is preserved in the task description and I can start over again when the time comes. Links that were in comments are not carried over, so there is no clutter.

6 Likes

I would gladly pay $10/mo personally, outside of all the organizations I use Asana with, to have this. It’s so hard to see any sort of Birdseye view for people who work across multiple orgs, which is a lot of people.

17 Likes

Friendly reminder to add a vote at the top of the thread if this is something you’d like to see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, Please make this happen! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The lack of reasonable real-time is a deal breaker for me.

This missing feature kills asana usability

8 Likes

How is this not a thing yet? This basically seems like the premise of Asana, and yet how the deuce do I move work forward if I have to look at 5 different workspaces to see what tasks I actually have due for any given area of work I do.

As someone who works in non-profit and serves on several boards of directors, I’m eager to get work moving forward with my colleagues and within my own home, but this is such a stumbling place that makes it all more complicated and prone to unproductivity and delay.

What’s the point of not working on getting this feature up and running?

7 Likes