Client database for Asana?

Hello - I am wanting to do a Form link the Referral form you have in the description box - how did you get the icons to show up? is that imbedded - what is that?

@Cheryl_Lewis you can have emojis anywhere in Asana, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4VxNkTUOk

Thanks to @Scrumpto for initiating this conversation! We too are running across a similar problem. Does anyone have an integration / 3rd party app that works for them to manage their contacts (and ideally be able to tag them within projects)? We found Airtable too flexible, and other CRMs to be counter-intuitive as they are sales-focused. (We are involved in the events/experiences world, if that context is helpful). Thanks all!

1 Like

@Scrumpto Have you seen the Overview tab in Asana?

It is a great place to put docs and stakeholder information.

Yes, it’s a kludge though for what’s truly needed.

I have been using tags to apply clients or consultants to the projects. I have a Clients Project and a Consultants Project. I create a tag for each person and then tag the projects as I need.

1 Like

I am in a similar line of work and new to Asana. If you find a solution I would love to know!

1 Like

Just an update. Four years later and I still haven’t found anything. I’ve had people send me suggestions but every time I test something it’s just not right.

The truth of the matter is that Asana could easily build this into their platform but has chosen not to. There’s a philosophy out there that you don’t need your program to be full-featured, you simply connect it to other programs, and at the end of the day, this hodge-podge of programs will all nicely work together. In fact, they rarely do and you end up paying four companies every month instead of one. It’s sad but true and Asana is guilty of following this paradigm.

What Asana needs to do is simple but they don’t get it and to me, that’s said as it makes Asana the program I love to hate. Asana does part of the job well and that makes it an “also-ran” instead of a winner. To be a winner they need to complete the picture.

5 Likes

Hi @Scrumpto

Although this has been an issue in the past, I find that the Overview tab is a great place to house project level data such as customer information. What are you looking for beyond that if I may ask?

Hello Scrumpto. I agree with you 100%. I have had the same problem for YEARS!

I tried Filemaker but they have horrendous prices and you have to subscribe. A simplified version of Filemaker could be the solution.

The important thing is FILTERING. I want to know who bought what, when and who I want to send a newsletter about which product.

Simple system - simple solution.

2 Likes

Getz_Pro,

So you put your client’s name and email address in the Overview tab of a project. Can you then see a list of all of your clients in a structured format such as a table layout the way you can custom fields? If you can, I don’t know how.

Worse yet, if you have more than one project per client, you have to duplicate that info.

The structure currently looks like this:
.Teams
…Projects
…Tasks
…Sub Tasks

If you could change “Teams” to “Clients”, give a Client custom fields like tasks have, and then provide a way to see those fields in a report like a spreadsheet that you could interact with, that would solve the problem.

1 Like

I was a FileMaker developer for years, It’s overkill for what we’re talking about here and their pricing is now way out of the ballpark. That said, they have a new freemium single-user version coming out that will be interesting to investigate. I’m sure once you add a second user though it will break the bank!

A single user would be sufficient for now. The account can also be used by others without generating a new user. But that might be a possibility as I have worked with filemaker for a long time and know what it can do. But I’m afraid there will be a catch with the Freemium. I don’t like the company policy of filemaker/Claris.

In other words, we are at the beginning and no one can really say how to create a simple customer database with asana? Seriously? Can we give asana a hint that they should implement something like this?

I’ve tried – I don’t think Asana or most other companies are listening. They see their vision and not the entire vision. Asana was built as a project management app for internal teams. Think of it like a corkscrew, it does one job. What we’re suggesting is that they add a bottle opener to the top and as they only drink wine and not beer, it doesn’t make sense to them.

I agree with @Scrumpto analysis, except that “listening” is different from “doing everything people ask”. They do listen, and decide not to act (yet) on most topics. Product development is about saying no to 99% of ideas to focus on the 1% of ideas aligned with your vision, keeping the cool clean and complexity free, stable, scalable…

1 Like

Yes, you are right, but this request or the possibility of a customer database is completely obvious and would only be logical. It would enhance asana, not devalue it. For me, it would be a reason to leave asana.

2 Likes

What are the subtasks that you added in your tasks for when you gain a new client?

I know this has been going on for a while and I appreciate you’re looking to do it in Asana, but just to throw into the mix, we’ve discovered Grist (getgrist.com) which is quite like Airtable, but more straightforward. Similarly it’s a database/spreadsheet mix, where you can relate tables in a simple way.

We’ve started to use it for contact management and as a simple CRM. It’s base tier allows 5000 records per table and unlimited team members - all at no cost!

I used to be impressed by Airtable, but this is simple while still being flexible and generous with the licence. I have affiliation by the way, just a keen user.

Sorry, typo: I have ‘no’ affiliation!

1 Like

Hi, can you screen shot how you did this? I’m also looking to link each contact to the project it’s associated with. Have you been able to do this? Thank you for your help!