Communicating Asana Tasks over Email to someone without Asana

Hi,
often I have tasks with people I just once or once in a while collaborate with. So it doesn’t make sense for me to suggest Asana for limited collabs to them.
Question, can I still use my tasks in Asana to share those to such people without Asana, just by Email ??
So when I put them on Follow they receive an email with the task content and can answer via email and its fed back into Asana ??
That’d be super cool.

Regards,
Frank

Yes, you could technically do this. By adding them as a follower, they’ll be set up as a user in the account. However, there’s no requirement that they need to login to access the task. As you said, they could simply reply to the email notification to add their comment to the corresponding task.

Thanks Paul, I was not aware you could do that. Always thought to participate in Asana you had to have some form of account.

You can also have a look at Three Dots that allows you to share an Asana project with non-Asana users. They won’t be able to comment though.

I’ve just given this a try. I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong, but its not as straight-forward as this thread suggests I think. I tested to an email address I own but is not an Asana account.

1. Added the email address as a follower, which generated an invite to that email to join Asana. Since this is the first email the user might see before anything to do with the task, this might be confusing to the user as to why they received an unsolicited invite.

2. The invite went to Outlook Mail spam for my test. Asana probably need to reassess their invite email to make sure it reaches the inbox. In my test, I said it was not junk. I wonder if I had not, would further emails relating to the task have also gone to spam, and the user never see anything about it?..

3. I @mentioned the new user to trigger a notification for that user. It asked if I wanted to share access to the task or the team. I said just the task.

4. The task email displays comments in reverse order (newest comment first) which is different to the order displayed in the Asana interface. This might be confusing because there is no timestamps in the email for task comments.

5. I replied to the email and it bounced, with a message from Asana: “I couldn’t process your email because you do not have access to this task.” I gave up at this point :smiley: