How to Use Asana for Strategic Planning

For those of you that are thinking about Asana as only a checklist program, I highly recommend the book Rhythm by Patrick Thean. Although they have their own software package, it is a toy compared to the power of Asana. After reading this book I am sure you will see the power of Asana for execution even clearer.

3 Likes

@JCarl I need to pick up a copy of that book- the summary looks great!

To expand on using Asana for more strategic planning, we just had a webinar with @Rashad_Issa on Tuesday about how they’ve implemented custom fields for their strategic planning and tracking of objectives, and he shared a very organized system to manage this. You can check out the recording here, and I’m sure he can share other tips about the specifics of how they plan strategically at Workplace Options.

2 Likes

Do you think there will be a day when an Asana podcast becomes valuable to listen to how people use Asana.

1 Like

I have to be kind of careful who I bring on to my team.

My processes are so good, that once I put all my processes into Asana-- I become useless.

Pretty much I can turn any business into a list of processes that can be completed by minimum wage employees.

The only high-value tasks left are: writing and drawing, or anything creative.

Think of Asana like those automatic self-checkout machines at the grocery store.

Yes Asana does to people what QuickBooksOnline did to accountants-- made them pretty useless. That’s what technology does–

But the flip side is that if you (meaning everyone) adapt then you can find more useful skills to apply to this world-- and it enables us to solve much greater problems now that the easy, repeatable things, have been automated.

The same way that HubSpot and Pardot cover “marketing automation” ==> Asana tackles “operations automation”

So that a Company has 3 main parts: Marketing, Sales, and Operations–

I haven’t yet figured out how to really automate sales— bc this generally always requires a 1-to-1 human interaction at some point in the process.

1 Like

@JCarl I love the idea of a podcast, and it’s one my colleague and I have considered. We’ve hosted several customer webinars that are discussions about how teams use it for different workflows, and you can check out the recordings in the “Customer Interviews” section at the bottom of the menu here.

I do think that these conversations would also lend themselves well to a podcast, with visual accompanying as needed.

3 Likes