In board view, option to have project description visible by default

For Board projects, a per-project option to have the description open-by-default would help with getting people using Asana, by e.g. including instructions on how to add tasks (with custom fields etc). There is another post that describes the problem with project descriptions in boards being unnecessarily truncated to the same height as list projects (I think).

Ideally, this would be remembered per-user-per-project state, so that although user sees the project description by default [if set on the project], if they choose to hide it, this is applied whenever they go to that project, (and also in reverse, so showing a default-hidden project description is likewise ā€˜stickyā€™ for that user.)

2 Likes

Indeed, we use our project description to describe how is setup our workflow and it would definitely help newcomers. Display it by default, once itā€™s read they can just hide it but at least theyā€™ll know about it.

It would be great if tasks on the Board view could also display a truncated version of the description field. Maybe limiting it to 3-4 lines max (though a setting on this can be also useful).

One of the use cases I have is to include hyperlinks in the description and it would be better to show these directly on the Board (sometimes even that one further click prevents some of our users to delve deeper).

9 Likes

It would be great if there was the ability to click a check box to show / no show the task description on the task itself in ā€œBoardā€ view (similar to MS Planner).

9 Likes

+1

Does anyone know if it is possible to see from the ā€˜outsideā€™ of a card if a description has been added, like on Trello? It would be really useful to know if additional information has been added, and to avoid deleting that information by accident when you delete a card. See Trello example attached.
Trello

3 Likes

Hi folks.

Is there a way to add a text field that will show up in the ā€œBoardā€ view as visible text? Iā€™m attaching an example mockup I did.

example

I tried adding a custom text field in the ā€œCustomizeā€ section, but then it only shows up as a ā€œtagā€ or ā€œbuttonā€ in the card, and only shows the first few words.

Thanks,
Brad

1 Like

I donā€™t believe there is. If you tried description of custom field, I believe you tried everythingā€¦

Hi @anon21559774, great question!

As mentioned by @Bastien_Siebman, this is not currently possible in Asana but is a popular request! Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread in the #productfeedback category to keep all feedback consolidated :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll loop back in if I have any updates!

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath! Any updates on this Feature Request by any chance? I agree this would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

This would be very useful. Not having this available is limiting our teams desire to use the tool.

I agree, this is a deal-breaker for me. Itā€™s so obvious and such a simple thing to implement itā€™s hard to believe it wasnā€™t done a long time ago.

Was this request ever addressed? We just introduced Asana to our team, and the inability to show descriptions on the main view is a deal-breaker for many. Team members are sticking with Google Sheets as a result.

Any chance this will be added?

3 Likes

Has this ever been addressed?

1 Like

This was raised in 2018 and still not added as a featureā€¦

1 Like

Any updates on this please?!

Please at least show an icon next to the taskā€™s name indicating that the task has a description, and when hovering over that icon then the preview of the description can be shown.

I hate how descriptions are always ignored in Asana due to not having this indicator!

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for this feature as well. I can see it has now been over 4 years since this was raised :rofl:

@Rebecca_McGrath / @Bastien_Siebman - any update on this - even just an excerpt of the task description on each ticket within the board view would be highly useful.

What feature ticket is this related to - can we upvote it in anyway.

At the moment my team have to click each task to see the description impacting our efficiency

2 Likes

Itā€™s now May 2023ā€¦ do we have any sort of update on this yet?

1 Like