Schedule a meeting in Asana

One of the many things that people use email for is to send invitation for a meeting. While Asana might be great at running a meeting, I find that it doesn’t do so well at schedualing one.

First, I can not set period of time when the meeting is. It does only have due time but no start time. While I got a great advice here in this community to use custom field to note down start time, but that’s it. It’s just a note and still not reflect on calendar or anything. Having just one start time field will solve this problem and open up many usability.

Secondly, I can’t invite it to multiple people. Only one assignee will get it on their task/calendar. Don’t get me wrong. I totally agree on concept of one job, one person responsible for. Let’s keep it that way. But you need to find a way to send invitation to multiple people, let them choose to accept/reject and save it on their calendar. Copy many tasks doesn’t solve this problem. People in the meeting need to talk in the same conversation. Spliting it, will make it hectic. My idea is improving subtask like many suggestions in this community, could solve this problem. If you don’t want to implement something just for this functinality. If you do, build it on project conversation, similar to what you do for project status. That’s my suggestion.

Lastly, notification and other detail. Well, usually you will get notification before the meeting take place. 1hr/.30min depending on settings. Other detail like location, sonething like that. These are nice to have but not necessary anyway.

If you want to make Asana to replace email as in the statement, I think this is the area you might want to look into. It’s pity that you have calendar but it functions only half of its potential.

Some good ideas here. We would like to replace our Outlook based workflow with Asana but it is very painful with the lack of functionality mentioned above

Completely agree, this was the first brick wall we hit when trying out asana. To me it feels like a few simple mods could solve the issue:

• Make it possible to assign multiple people and/or teams to a task (the meeting)

Or

• Add task type “Meeting”. With all the above mentioned functionality.