Sneak peek: new interactive lessons on the Asana guide

Hi all! Jessie from the Asana web team here with a sneak preview of a new addition to our guide that we’ll be launching shortly. As active members of the Asana community, I’d love to get your feedback on:

1. What excites you the most about this? The least?
  2. Who would you share this with?
  3. If we were to add a fifth lesson, what would be your top choice for the topic?
  4. Anything else you’re dying to tell us!

A temporary link to the lessons can be found here: How to use Asana, Asana tutorials, onboarding tips, and team use cases | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

Please note that this isn’t yet live and we’re still working on implementing some QA feedback (e.g. adding animations, fixing a link or two, etc.)

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

8 Likes

Very cool! I think this is a great overview, and I’m going to make it required for my team. :slight_smile: I even learned something – the blue dots in My Tasks.

One specific piece of feedback: At the beginning of the “My Tasks” lesson, it says “My Tasks is a list of every task assigned to you.” Then on the next screen is says “Click on your My Tasks list and start typing to add tasks.” I’m not sure it’s totally clear that the two screens are about different sources of tasks. I think it would help to say “You can also click on your My Tasks list and start typing to add tasks” or “Click on your My Tasks list and start typing to give yourself a task.”

I think it would be great to have a lesson about organizations, workspaces, and teams, or maybe even one about Advanced Search.

5 Likes

Agree with Craig - lesson about organizations, workspaces teams and advanced search.
Also dashboard, but maybe there is nothing to show at the moment… it needs to be fixed first.

4 Likes

What excites you the most about this?..Ease of use.

The least?..It is too basic.

Who would you share this with?..Coworkers who are less technologically inclined.

If we were to add a fifth lesson, what would be your top choice for the topic?..Conversations

3 Likes

@Jessie_Beck, this is a great idea! Here’s my feedback:

1. What excites you the most about this? The least? Most: I’m excited to see Asana take a major interest in helping users understand how to get started right away. I believe when people can quickly learn how to use Asana, they will immediately see the value. Sometimes the biggest hurdle is trying something new. Least: It’s only the basics. It would be helpful to briefly expand on the description, specifically why it’s important to share goals, provide details and any relevant context to the task or project.
2. Who would you share this with? New team members or on-boarding team members.
3. If we were to add a fifth lesson, what would be your top choice for the topic? Project vs. Task
4. Anything else you’re dying to tell us! Keep up the excellent work!

4 Likes

Jessie,
The examples need to be something more real-world. You can’t teach someone how to operate a bulldozer by demonstrating the use of a shovel. Case studies let the users relate the example projects and tasks to their everyday communication challenges.

4 Likes

[quote=“Jessie_Beck, post:1, topic:2319”]
What excites you…? – That it’s BRILLIANT. I conference call about 50 Asana customers every month. Many of them are new to Asana, and I think they’re very confused about basics. This does it PERFECTLY.
Who would you share this with? Our customers who are looking to migrate emails to a project-management tool, and evaluating Asana (usually with about 3 other tools)>
If we were to add a fifth lesson, what would be your top choice for the topic? – I’ll be self-serving since this is what we do - ex. connect emails to Asana - so, “connecting Asana to the tools you use”.
Anything else you’re dying to tell us! – The progress bar at the top looks like it’s a “loader” for a page that is loading slowly. I’d suggest signposts along the progress bar, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

3 Likes

These where great @Jessie_Beck. Look forward to seeing some more. Really good overview for new users in an well presented way.

My choice for the next one would be on having Tasks Across multiple Projects, or a practical demonstration of how to use Asana to run a meeting.

Jason.

3 Likes

@Jessie_Beck
What excites you the most about this? Good for the “Lazy” people, who do not to read through long blog/Guide posts
Who would you share this with? the “Lazy” people :slight_smile:
If we were to add a fifth lesson, what would be your top choice for the topic? Multi-homing of tasks and how to use it e.g. have a task in a roadmap and a meeting agenda at the same time too, because this is also basic and immediately applicable for the new user
Anything else you’re dying to tell us! Always great to see that you are constantly improving the product and service aroung :blush:

3 Likes

I love the design and simplicity of the explanations in each stage. This would suit our new starters and busy managers who don’t have the time (or motivation) to read a guide.

If I had to be very picky, I’d say it’s a lot of clicks to get through everything. Could there be a slideshow option for each stage, which you could pause or manually navigate through if you so desired?

I think searches/advanced searches would make a great fifth lesson.

Overall, I think it’s brilliant.

4 Likes

Hey all! Thanks so much for the feedback – definitely a lot of great (and varied!) suggestions for our next lesson. I’ll pass it along to the team who built them.

In the meantime, the lessons will officially be live this afternoon – GIFs and all – if you know an Asana newbie who’d like to see them (or some of those lazy people on @Sebastian_Paasch’s list :slight_smile:??)

3 Likes