Subtask 'template' or list - to add to any task/card

Hi!

I’m a new Asana user, coming from Trello, and really really miss a function from Trello.

In Trello you have “cards” instead of tasks, and you can also make checklists (essentially lists of subtasks) which you can check off and add to any card.

You can easily save these checklists so you can add it to any card (without connecting them - they are independently on each card).

This is a hugely helpful feature for teams that have the same type of subtasks on all tasks - for instance the the same 6 steps which need to be done again and again and again.

In this case I have a board for an editorial calendar. It moves in a flow from left to right - from idea > pipeline > progress > editing > published. So, each article is a task.

In order to assign deadlines at different times to various people (ie graphics and editing) we want to have subtasks as well on each, like we did on Trello - basically a subtask list with different points: research, draft, editing, graphics, published.

I migrated my Trello board to Asana but I have to go through every task manually and add all these subtasks. It would be gold to have a simple feature where you can add a list of subtasks to any task. I suspect that many teams are in similar situations - there is a regular set of subtasks to be done and it is a waste of time to keep typing them out. :slight_smile:

This feature does not exist…
You can have a “template task” with the right subtasks and duplicate it.

I know it doesn’t exist, that’s why I’m asking for it.

I also know you can have a template and duplicate it for NEW tasks, but there’s not an option of adding a set list to existing tasks. This function would be extremely helpful for me and many others. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see know this somehow got added to the wrong category. I followed a link from an Asana representative to add this to the feedback section but obviously didn’t work. :roll_eyes: Adding to right place now.

you can just highlight the existing subtask checklist, copy and then paste it on new task > subtask

It works if there is only a name, and no description/tags/other subtasks. But this is a good idea.

Hi Solveig. I hope you’ve found a solution for this problem. I am looking to do something similar to what you’ve mentioned in the original message you’ve posted here. Could you suggest the best way of creating a template checklist for each card were they work independently from each other?

Thank you in advance!