Subtasks in "My tasks" show in a "No project" project

This has been the biggest pain point for our company using Asana for the last 2 years and almost sparked a migration to another product twice during that period.

We are looking forward to a solution, I’d love to keep using this tool for our business.
Thanks for looking into it and working on it, please keep us updated.

2 Likes

It is very frustrating - especially when, like others, I am trying to adopt and roll Asana out to the whole company and now questioning if we should do it or not.

Subtasks need to be treated like all tasks in terms of:

• Showing up under a project and also under the main task
  • Be able to show on timeline view as well
  • Be able to link to another Project as well

Please can you update if and when you will be letting us know what is happening with Subtasks.

6 Likes

Just bumping this as well. If the sub-task exists within the specific project, why wouldn’t the sub-task be associated with that project? I have seen people identify that a task can be shared with multiple projects so this may create an issue, but I do not see the issue. If the task is associated with multiple projects, then let’s have the sub-task shared with multiple projects as well.

We have team members in many projects and some major tasks they need to accomplish are done via sub-tasks and they cannot see the project each task is associated within their my-task view and it’s creating issues for us.

-Rob

3 Likes

Yes i also agreed with everyone above. We cant use subtasks otherwise our setups become too confusing. Subtasks should be the same as tasks, and show the associated project. I cant really understand why it is not this way. In ‘My Tasks’ i just end up with loads of assigned subtasks for which i have no idea where they live.

2 Likes

New user to Asana and so far love it - HOWEVER - I am really stuck on this issue. I have duplicate subtasks for many projects, and need the subtasks to be associated with the parent project - any updates on this?

Hi @Erin_Garmezy,

Have a look at this other post I wrote just a couple of days ago, I’m hoping it can help you too!

Any update???

1 Like

Did the team ever work on this?
And why does moving a task to a subtask remove it from the project?

Trying to make Asana work here, but a lot of my work gets deleted whenever I try to change something.

This issue is due to an old, and I hope now regretted, set of design decisions. Have not seen any movement on this in 2 years.

2 Likes

Thanks Stephanie. Do you know if Asana still actively supported? We haven’t figured out if our team should use it.

Interesting question! Asana is certainly active with development of new service tiers and marketing of the same. There have also been new features on occasion. However, it’s not clear that the opinions expressed in these forums have much effect on development choices. There is a long backlog of universally desired and obviously advisable features that have not seen any progress in the 2+ years I’ve been on this forum. Many of the new “features” are really just requests to fix the poor design directions of past years - like lack of sorting, filtering, global views, and generally numerous failures to use database best practices that have been established for nearly half a century - like normalization. It’s my opinion that Asana has a huge legacy deficit - something like this: The database deficit: how full-stack developers’ blind spot harms agile teams | by Steve Hopkinson | Engineered @ Publicis Sapient | Medium - and are finding complete reworking of their data models a complex and daunting task.

One example is the fact that projects have always needed to be created as a board or a list. Even though conceptually, this is just a difference in view, in Asana they were created as two different entities. People have been begging for years to allow viewing any project in either type of view. It’s actually been worked on for ~~1 year and long promised, and even has been rolling out for months now - though I’ve not had it rolled out to my organization. I believe some users have seen it rolled back.

Even with all the above, we continue to use Asana…our own inertia plays a big factor, especially retraining the org to a new system. Asana does have many good points and its friendly UI makes it low barrier to entry for small teams with limited IT bandwidth. It’s when you try to scale beyond a small group that the downsides start to sting.

5 Likes

To me it is RIDICULOUS that such a core design-flaw, reported by SO MANY PEOPLE, has not been fixed for over TWO YEARS! I mean come on…

You DO NOT take your user seriously.

6 Likes

I think folks at Asana care about their users but I agree that this is a very annoying issue and I find unbelievable it hasn’t been fixed after almost 2 years :frowning:

2 Likes

Another bump for this to be fixed.

1 Like

yes

does not help

It is somewhat perplexing that this is not a thing yet - can someone from Asana confirm anything about any movement on this at all? Anything? Hello?

1 Like

Hi @John_T,

FYI Asana does not publish a public roadmap or comment on potential future features, so there’s not a confirmation available. Here’s their take on it:

We do not share a product roadmap because we are unable to promise a timeline and we want to ensure that the features and updates we release are as well made as possible. We wouldn’t want to release a sub-par feature just to meet a deadline - quality is super important to us.

You can read more here:

2 Likes

however adding each Subtask to your Project manually (by using the Tab+P) will allow you to quickly add these tasks to the Projects t

Not quick.
Not helpful.

What a mess. Just go look at JIRA for a second. Jeez.

4 Likes

+1 on a fix. This is a major problem for our team. Crazy it’s been open for so long.

1 Like