Switch between board and list with an external solution?

Hi,

When I am looking at Switching from Boards to List View (and vice versa) - #121 by John_Hung I see a lot of interest for this feature. I am not sure if Asana would do it soon.

So in the mean time, hypothetically speaking, if I was to develop a solution that would allow you to select a project and have all of its tasks to move to a new project with the other layout, would anyone be interested?

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

32 Likes

Do you need a developed solution? Surely to switch now all youā€™d need to do is create the new project, select all tasks and move over to the new layout.

1 Like

True @paulminors but it becomes a little more complex when you want to turn sections into columns and vice versa isnā€™t it? I did not say it would be the software of the year :sweat_smile: , but if it can save times for people until Asana fixes it, that might make sense.

3 Likes

Great point!

Go Bastien! :wink:

+1 great!

My director was just asking me if we could do this and I was searching for the help to do it. It would be a good thing to have. :hugs:

I am still evaluating the idea and looking for someone to help me :slight_smile: if you known any web developer looking for an opportunity to create a product from A to Z, send her/him my way!

Yes!! So hope you can get this happeningā€¦ :slight_smile:

It would be a good temp. solution IF all the changes from one view would automatically be applied to another.

I do wonder why something that seems like a ā€˜simpelā€™ product change canā€™t be implemented the correct way? Maybe anyone from product dev team can pitch in to explain the complexity of changing views?

The ā€œproductā€ I have in mind would not have the synchronisation, at least at first.

I can answer your question because I asked it myself: the underlying data model is not the same at all and allowing the switch would be complicated if you want to do this properly. That is at least what I understood. Yes that seems crazy from the outside, but as an web engineer I am not surprised this can happen.

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

Couple of thingsā€¦

1. Asana is one of the few apps that I have evaluated that doesnā€™t allow the task list, kanban board VIEW switch. I canā€™t remember another one that locked you in to either view only.
  2. Personally, I think kanbans are less useful if they donā€™t have automated workflows, but thatā€™s me.
  3. Iā€™m not sure what the OP is suggesting, but canā€™t you move tasks between the two project types by exporting and then importing? It may not export and import every aspect of the project, I know ā€œtask repeatingā€ doesnā€™t carry over, but if itā€™s just to start a new project and get you 96% there, the export/import works.
1 Like

@B_Lewis and @Francesco_Alessi thanks a lot for your support! Asana agreed that I open this alternative thread to discuss my alternative, and not to resume the conversation of this missing feature. I am sure you will understand if @Marie from Asana moves your message into the original thread.

Thanks a lot!

I think Airtable does this well in that you can organise your Kanban by custom fields (single choice dropdown).

So if I have several custom fields, the Kanban will create columns based on all available values (High, Medium, Low priority for example).

To answer the question in the OP directly, I donā€™t think this it would be all that helpful. I mean it is and it isnā€™t. The whole intent for toggling between Kanban/List views in the first place is to view the project structure in a way that is more meaningful to the viewer. For instance, Kanban may be more helpful for a developer, while list view may be more helpful for a PM (or vice versa). Itā€™s really just a matter of preference. So for me, having the ability to migrate the entire project over to a new project seems like an overly an cluttered and ultimately wrong solution to the root problem.

Now if we were merging old ā€œlistā€ or ā€œkanbanā€ projects into a ā€œhybridā€ project that supported bothā€¦that might be worth exploring a bit further. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Yes, this would be a great feature. Thank you!

Something is on its way :wink:

1 Like

Yes, please create something :slight_smile:

Someone I know is working on it. I donā€™t know the details yet (realease date, pricing or freeā€¦)

this would be a useful feature!