Missing view options for Tasks Completed recently

+1 on bringing this feature back. This is really frustrating. You need to be able to review recently completed work in the context of live work - not switching between searches etc.

1 Like

Please bring it back.

1 Like

I am evaluating Asana to be our project management platform, but not having the functionality of seeing completed tasks at the daily and weekly level is turning into an application killer. Wondering if anyone has tried writing a python or other program to create the completed task functionality with success. If so, I would love to find out any details. Thanks!

We were considering choosing Asana for our project management tool for our business. However, given the suggested work around from Asana rather than replacement of the original feature, I’m looking elsewhere.

1 Like

I’ve been checking on this request for months, ever since the update that took this feature out. It makes me a sad user, that still has not been rectified.

1 Like

Please bring this feature back. Knowing what was recently completed and what is upcoming is critical to managing a project. It allows you to see the pace of changes going in, and surfaces important changes that should be called out in the next meeting. Furthermore, it’s a motivation boost seeing tasks being completed. Please listen to your users!

1 Like

I also used this feature to see how much I have done for today and it motivate me to go father, so bring it back, please

This was an amazing feature, I rarely ever voice my opinion but this is something I feel that needed to come back, hoping my feedback makes some kind of impact.

We are sorely missing this beloved feature. The excuse for removing it (allegedly simplifying some UI detail) seems to be missing the whole point of the feature itself.

When looking at a project, we often want to see two things:

1. What do we still have to do?
  2. What was recently completed and needs discussion/testing/review/kudos?

The old combination view of Incomplete + Tasks completed in the last week perfectly addressed this.

Asana removed it for questionable reasons. People clearly found it valuable and simple and want it back. The workarounds of running manual reports don’t cut it. Put it back!

4 Likes

Pinging participants in this topic: If you care about getting this functionality back in Asana, I suggest “voting” for this topic. (Scroll to the top of the forum thread, and click the little ‘vote’ button to the left of the topic’s title). Who knows, maybe enough votes will help get the Asana team’s attention.

@Dmitry_Korolev, @Brian_Sullivan, @James_Carl

7 Likes

+1 on the scenario that Dan_Kamins covered above. I found that view – incomplete + recently completed tasks – very useful when running status updates meetings as it was easy to see both what’s been recently completed and what’s to come next.

In fact, I even wished I would be able at some point to set a view like that as my own default view (incomplete + 2 days of completed tasks) which sadly was not possible before and now seem even further away from reach.

2 Likes

Why was this removed?

This has always been one of the best features. Someone should ask the original Product Manager of this feature what they think of it being removed, because it was a small design feature that offered so much value.

Use case

I have a project that is ongoing for a year. I create a section for each calendar week. I want to check off things as we do them, and everyone can see what was planned, and what is done. This is so basic. Its like having a “Done” column.

But now, since I can only choose completed tasks, I have 100s of old tasks.

And sorting by due date removes the sections.

This has broken Asana for me - and everyone else in the thread it seems.

Just put it back how it was please. And add editable comments. Then Asana is the best product again.

6 Likes

Hope it will come back soon. It’'s missed… :slight_smile:

I also need this option back. My use case is:

• the ability to see completed task make me feel satisfaction and go to the next one
  • to see the result of my day

@Alexis Could you please let us know the honest likelihood of bringing this feature back in the near future.

I would like to know so as I can determine whether it is worthwhile to implement a browser extension or an api integration to get this functionality back.

Hi Vaughan,

To be honest, as Community Manager I’m not able to speak to “honest likelihood” as you request. I’d say if you feel inspired to build something, go for it! If we have any updates on this for you we’ll let you know.

Best,
Alexis

Can you share how can I select this or that option from “Old UI” in Web Browser Console? I’m thinking of turning your instructions into either bookmarklets, or installable GreaseMonkey script, or even browser extension. This way at least us, power users able to locate this thread will be able to use the feature if Asana refuses to return it back to official UI.

P.S. I’m still havng several projects with “old” setting “saved to everyone”, working properly, and they repeatedly remind me of this thread.

1 Like

@Myroslav_Opyr I too have left my setting alone after reseting it, to avoid the hassle of manually managing application state to get my preferred view back. After a quick look at the code again, here’s what I remember:

I set a breakpoint on the _updateGridViewStateHandler method and manually tweaked the variables completion and recentlyCompletedOffset, then resumed execution. These will set properties on the PotGridViewStateManager react object and re-render the grid view accordingly.

My current values are 2 and 5, respectively. IIRC, the possible values are:

For completion:

0 = Incomplete
1 = Complete
2 = All

For recentlyCompletedOffset:

0 = None
1 = Today
2 = Yesterday
3 = OneWeek
4 = TwoWeeks
5 = ThreeWeeks
6 = All

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

@Lawrence_Han Alexis has made it clear she’s reached the limit of her influence on this issue. Perhaps you could chime in again.

In particular, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on my and others’ comments around the conclusion that an average user benefits from removing the ability to show mixed completion states is specious—since you were testing a much more significant redesign that encompassed larger conceptual and aesthetic changes.

Would you consider a new A/B test that focuses on this functionality alone? For a starting point, see the quick mockup I put together that keeps the interface simple while still allowing the flexibility that everyone in this thread is clamoring for.

Thanks,
David

P.S. @Alexis thanks for continuing to engage, even if none of us are happy with the response you’re able to provide. Re-reading an earlier comment of mine to you, it comes off as confrontational, when I didn’t intend it to. Please accept my apology.

5 Likes

That’s great sleuthing.

Hopefully someone technical will come along and package it up.