Subtasks in timeline

How do I see subtask from a main taks at timeline view, or maybe the total programed time for all tasks?

I asked Asana support the same question. Here was their reply:

When a subtask is created it will not automatically inherit it’s parent task’s Project, and so will not be displayed in Project views (List, Calendar, or Timeline). If you would like to view your subtasks in your Project view, you can do so by going into the subtask details (https://asana.com/guide/help/tasks/subtasks#gl-subtask-details) and using Tab+P to open the project field or by going to the upper right drop-down and selecting “Add to Project.” This will put the subtask in your Timeline view as well.

I hope they can automate it so that you don’t have to re-enter the subtask into the project only for you to see it in the timeline.

The problem with adding the subtask into the main project is that it duplicates itself in the list view as a task, and it just doesn’t make sense to do that.

I really hope Asana makes this as an update because for me, it’s important to see the timeline of the subtasks, not just the main task within the project.

Exactly!
Asana you need to fix this ! Just have ability in timeline view to expand/collapse tasks to see their subtasks. Duplicate entries in the list view is not good usability!!!

I ended up here searching for a solution as well. I’m currently trialing Asana to use for a design systems project and I think this is a huge miss. I think you should be able to add sub tasks and there could be some sort of sub-timeline within a project task. So for instance, if I have a task set for Aug 1 - Aug 5, give me an interface that maps out all my sub-tasks within that timeframe and I can adjust them within that.