Subtasks in timeline

I am not sure this will work for everyone… but I have added my subtasks to the project, assigned them to a custom field (be function/team), added a due date. All of this so they will show up in the timeline view.

Then I have created a section at the bottom of the project with the heading “Subtasks,” below a section, “Don’t look below this” where I have put all of the subtasks. This creates a nice list view, but more importantly creates a specific Timeline view.

4 Likes

I am actually kind of feeling proud of myself:).

3 Likes

I agree that being able to see the subtasks mapped out in the timeline without requiring the subtasks to be duplicated on the board or list would be ideal. That visual representation of the full timeline is very much desirable.

2 Likes

This needs to happen. We have main projects with different types of tasks in each one and sub tasks to go with each type of task. We assign the subtasks out to multiple individuals. It would be ideal to have an “at a glance” view of the subtasks on the timeline view with their start and end dates and person(s) assigned.

2 Likes

+1 for this. Would love to stop using and paying for Instagantt

How is this not a thing yet?

2 Likes

+1 Yes, this is crucial for making the timeline feature actually useful.

1 Like

Try instagrantt.com. It is a third party app that ties into Asana. Very nice!

1 Like

This is not a solution, this make the whole idea of SubTasks usless -
you have subtask not to clutter your main view - a simple show/dont show subtasks in timeline would be much better…
this way I should have never created it as a subtask, if im going to add it to the project - first off it will clutter my overview, 2. its 3x the work compared to just having created it as a task in the first place…

please fix this

8 Likes

PLEASE FIX THIS FEATURE!

3 Likes

+1 just tried the workaround suggested at the beginning of the thread. unfortunately it makes the whole project really messy with all these new tasks you don’t need just to get them to show in the timeline.

please add subtasks to timeline! it’s a pretty fundamental PM need :slight_smile:

(and thank you to the asana team for all your work :heart:!)

3 Likes

+1 Want to see all sub tasks in the timeline!

2 Likes

yes please…!

1 Like

Kind of ridiculous this still isn’t a thing. Rethinking Premium…

1 Like

+1

Is there an ETA for this feature yet?

2 Likes

Please launch this! I manage multiple ongoing projects and it is impossible in Asana. I have to manually add every subtask to the timeline, which feels like it could be time better spent!

2 Likes

Hi Marie! How many votes do we need to get this changed? Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi @Mariella_Cruzado! :wave: Natalia here stepping in for my colleague.

That is a great question! You can learn more about votes in the Forum in this handy post.

With that said, our Team is fully aware of this thread and they are hoping to solve this as part of the general subtask redesign they’re planning to carry out later this year and while I don’t have any precise timeline to share at the moment, I’ll make sure to post an update on this thread as soon as I have an update!

4 Likes

That would be fantastic!
Thanks Natalia. Really looking forward to it.

m.

2 Likes