Subtasks in timeline

I’m glad I found this thread before upgrading. Adding my vote.

2 Likes

I actually have another problem the subtasks are too short so you cannot read them is there any way to make the name appear without going with the mouse over it?

2 Likes

Warning: Adding a subtask to a project (Associating a project with the existing subtask) causes a mess. It doesn’t just tag the subtask with the project.

It duplicates the subtask as a task in the project. But I can’t undo associating the subtask with the project. And if I delete the duplicated task, it deletes the subtask version as well.

This completely ruins the purpose of subtasks, because it clutters up the project, making Asana very hard to use. But not associating subtasks with projects prevents them from showing in the timeline, and prevents them from falling under a project in “My Tasks” which also makes Asana very hard to use.

5 Likes

This is such an amazingly bad bug that I can’t believe anyone at Asana tried to defend it on any level. The “workaround” is a nightmare of epic proportions.

And after all, the whole concept of the “Timeline” was that it was built to be a better version of a Gantt chart. Hiding subtasks in the Timeline View viciously murders that concept.

13 Likes

Just to pick a nit, in terms of technical clarity: Asana doesn’t duplicate the subtask, but rather displays the actual subtask in the main project list. I.e. it’s not a copy but is literally the same subtask. That’s why it’s not possible to delete one without deleting the other - because there’s only one.

Granted, the end result is the same, and I’m not defending the design; just wanted to clarify the technical dimension of it.

And also, just to highlight what Natalia mentioned above, there is an update in the works which will alter, at least to a degree, how subtasks are displayed.

2 Likes

I agree here with ADM, is there a way to display the task name like Instaghantt does this (behind the bar of the task)?
Would be really great to see this issue solved!!

1 Like

It’s 2020. Sub-tasks should be viewed in the project and timeline view! Considering taking our whole team to another platform because of this. Asana, please update!

29 Likes

Same problem, same thought of you. This is a reason for downgrading from Premium to free.

2 Likes

I agree with you. I submitted a ticket before reading this post forum because I was sure I was not able to use it and not there wasn’t at all!

1 Like

Because I’m not using Premium as I’m piloting with Basic, I don’t experience the Timeline problem. But even as a basic user I still experience that related projects aren’t shown in ‘My tasks’ for subtasks which makes it hard to understand where the subtask belongs to.
Therefore +1

I have been using Asana for about three years. Finally took the plunge and upgraded. Only for the timeline view. I have been on the free trial for an hour now and then saw the subtask problem on the timeline. Sorry Asana, I am downgrading again. You have lost me as a paying customer.

Hi Natalia. So did you guys sorted this out yet as part of your general subtask redesign you planned for last year? I have upgraded our team this afternoon after about three years as a free customer. Specifically for the timeline view. One hour into my trial I stumbled across this subtask on the timeline problem and I am about to downgrade again.

2 Likes

Hello, want to add to this request. I had some really hectic boards so grouped tasks into Functional Area groupings, i.e., these are all the Design tasks, these are all the Operations tasks, so the Functional Areas are the parents on the project board, allowing for a cleaner overview. Only to now find I can’t see the dates on Timeline. That’s silly. Why even bother with dates on sub-tasks if this is going to be the case?

3 Likes

Wow. Literally upgraded to Premium to use the Timeline and this is a complete showstopper.

With the current functionality, you can either use subtasks or the timeline. Been trying to convince my team to stick with Asana, but this will almost definitely kill that discussion.

An update “in the works” doesn’t help people who have been struggling through this. All tasks, including subtasks, must be visible on the timeline. Without that, Asana’s “subtask” feature is worse than useless.

4 Likes

Totally agree–when will this be updated @Strativepm! This thread has been going on for 2 years with no changes.

3 Likes

Agree… It’s now May 2020… appears nothing’s been done on this after two years?

4 Likes

same. just spent hours inputting a ton of subtasks and start and end dates, excited to get organized…go to the timeline and calendar-BLANK. so much time wasted and you’re right-makes it completely useless-can’t believe they call this a project management tool.

3 Likes

Same. I just convinced my workplace to give this a go. Ater trialing Monday.com I came here, because the pricing options were more attractive for the smaller team I am working with. I assumed that with timeline view you would be able to see all tasks/sub-tasks. This is enough for me to cancel before the end of my trial and go back to Monday.com

For a very visible competitor in the market, this needs to be addressed

5 Likes

I very much agree! This feature should be included…